1500D &^$%^ FRONT AXLE!! ^%(*(

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Jtmachinedesign
Volunteer Poster

1500D &^$%^ FRONT AXLE!! ^%(*(

Postby Jtmachinedesign » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:56 pm

OK, Yanmar Brain Trust... Would love your comments.

So I buy a 1500D Green with full knowledge that the left front wheel needed rebuilding. - on disassembly it's obvious the needle bearings pressed into the gear set had failed - both of them.

2 orders, 3 weeks, and $500 bones later I have all the parts and ready to reassemble. first, was to press the new bearings into the new gear set..
BUT IT"S TOO TIGHT!
the bearing cage is a press fit but there' too much interference - the needles are jammed. Now i got a hunch why they failed before.

so, one ruined bearing later and massive frustration, I'm at a loss.

Aaron, you got some 'splainin to do... :?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 1500D &^$%^ FRONT AXLE!! ^%(*(

Postby winston » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 pm

I see the 1500d green and 1500d red use different needle bearings. Are you sure you have the right ones?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:03 pm

I have never heard of that being a problem before. I do know it is a challenge to get both of the bearings pressed into the gear straight. Maybe the bearing was slightly out of line? I always recommend pressing the bearings into the gear while it is on the spindle. Spinning the gear as you press. Helps keep everything in line.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Put the gear in the freezer for an hour or so, the bearing should slip right on.

Jtmachinedesign
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jtmachinedesign » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:56 am

Aaron wrote:I have never heard of that being a problem before. I do know it is a challenge to get both of the bearings pressed into the gear straight. Maybe the bearing was slightly out of line? I always recommend pressing the bearings into the gear while it is on the spindle. Spinning the gear as you press. Helps keep everything in line.

due to the delicate appearance of the bearing, I turned a mandrel to install it.. you can bet it went in straight. I noted that the pressure it took to push it in was excessive and actually stopped about 60% of the way in - that's when i noted the rollers were jammed.

Jtmachinedesign
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jtmachinedesign » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 am

winston wrote:I see the 1500d green and 1500d red use different needle bearings. Are you sure you have the right ones?

I ordered NB-1412... the packing slip said NB-1412.. however, like most of them, the parts had no part numbers marked on their containers so..

Jtmachinedesign
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jtmachinedesign » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:11 am

After a healthy amount of frustration along with a bit of disgust, I made a set of bushings from bearing bronze so I can get back to work.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 am

So you have the green tractor?

Jtmachinedesign
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jtmachinedesign » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:02 am

winston wrote:So you have the green tractor?

yes

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:33 am

Guess your on the road but if you have a bearing left and can measure od on it and id of gear that should clear things up.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 am

Yes, I know exactly how frustrating that can be. I'm building a hotrod from scratch at home and it is amazing how virtually none of the (brand new / name brand) parts that are supposed to go together actually do without some form of modification. It makes me really appreciate the assembly lines at the big auto manufacturers where things just fit like they are supposed to the first time.

I guess in your case we would need the OD of the bearing and the ID of the gear to figure out which was out of spec. We don't make either of those parts but I'm sure one or the other was just made a little off. I will do some measuring here too and be sure there is not something going on. Looks like you came up with a solution though.

Jtmachinedesign
Volunteer Poster

Update! WAS:Re: 1500D &^$%^ FRONT AXLE!! ^%(*(

Postby Jtmachinedesign » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:31 am

Tractor is back on its feet again and wheel is working great. Still have a punchlist of things to address before it's ready to head for it's high desert home - still have a few questions (which I'll ask in separate posts) but it was fun to tool around my suburban residence and look at the expressions of all the imported asian and 20-something neighbors who probably have never seen a guy joyriding his tractor down the streets :)

Return to “Tech Support”