Black Smoke No Power

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

tmckinney95060
Volunteer Poster

Black Smoke No Power

Postby tmckinney95060 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Well guys I was getting a lot of blow by so I replaced my rings. She started much easier and used less oil. It has been about 3 to 4 hours of running and a half quart of oil (very little idling). The other day I drug a 4 foot box on my my YM1700 up and down my driveway with ease. This morning I attached a 4 foot bush hog. She ran excellent for not having seated the rings yet and then about an hour into it I noticed instant black smoke and loss of power and when I looked down the temp light lit up. I put very little antifreeze as suggested. My question is...is this part of the rings seating? Did she just get over worked and too hot?

When you start it, she idles fine, when you advance the throttle it seems to miss and a funny smell comes out of the exhaust and the smoke does not push out as hard and fast you might say as previously. Also she seems to be missing when she idles up.

No water mixed in the oil, nor oil in the radiator. Nor is there air bubbles pushing out of the radiator with the cap off.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Black Smoke No Power

Postby winston » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 am

Is all the smoke black now??

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 am

That does not really sound like a normal ring seating process. Was the strange smell possibly like burning antifreeze? Some parts of your description sound like a plugged muffler but I don't think that usually involves the temp light. Have you tried running without the muffler?

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 pm

You never mentioned ring end gap. If too tight, could easily expand with normal warm-up, totally close up and try to seize the engine, resulting in over-heating and black smoke. New rings normally have to be filed for correct gap. When the temp light comes on you should see if you can easily turn the engine over by hand, (socket wrench on flywheel nut).

tmckinney95060
Volunteer Poster

Postby tmckinney95060 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:54 pm

I was never able to locate that sticky note pad, but the muffler was clogged. I checked the injectors and then removed the muffler and she ran great. My new replacement should be arriving Monday afternoon form Hoye. Evidently a chuck of crap fell in the muffler because when I removed is it sounded like a marble inside. I would have never guessed that could be the issue. Its been an interesting process. I was beginning to think I had been taken advantage of. Paid 1900. for it and it he delivered from about 65 miles away. She has about 1200 hours on her, is this a fair deal? Also found out it was originally green and the engine was black. Think is may have been a 1975 or 76 model.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:31 am

Great! Glad it was something easy and cheap. The price sounds good. We frequently pay more for that for parts tractors.

Return to “Tech Support”