226D wont go into gear after repalcing oil

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

mcknightr
Volunteer Poster

226D wont go into gear after repalcing oil

Postby mcknightr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Please if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. My yanmar 226D with the power shift located on the steering column will not put my tractor into gear.
I had to tear the whole back end out of it and replace 6 bolts that sheered off that surrounded the pinion gear and universal. All of that was repaired and when I put all new oil and transmission fluid back in the power shift will move into all 3 forward gears and reverse but the tractor will not move, it hesitates to go slightly forward in gear 1. The hydraulics, and PTO are absolutely fine and work but nothing to the wheels. The shuttle gear seems to be the problem but every time I tear it out and put it back in it doesn't move the tractor anywhere.

Anyone ever had this happen or can help me I would really appreciate it...Desperate for my tractor back.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 226D wont go into gear after repalcing oil

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:07 am

Are you sure that the range shifter is in gear? Does it move in 4wd? With the diff lock pedal depressed? Are you sure you used the correct oil? Is your powershift brake lever adjusted correctly?

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 pm

You refer to refilling the transmission oil. If that's what you used, drain it and replace with combo hydraulic/transmission fluid.

"The shuttle gear seems to be the problem but every time I tear it out and put it back in it doesn't move the tractor anywhere." Sorry -- could you explain this better?

mcknightr
Volunteer Poster

Postby mcknightr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Thank you both! I will do what you say and try it again. Hope it works!

mcknightr
Volunteer Poster

Postby mcknightr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:23 pm

The shuttle gear seems to be the problem but every time I tear it out and put it back in it doesn't move the tractor anywhere." Sorry -- could you explain this better?

I will try to explain this. So I disconnect the bolt that connects to the shuttle control and then take about 6 bolts out of a cover that houses what I believe to be the Shuttle valve (it is stainless steel and has a notch in it where the forks of the shuttle connector fit in). I have tried to do this and make sure my forks are inserted and put back together and it still wont go forward. Update my buddy just got it to go into 1st gear and reverse and pushed dirt in first gear but wont go into 2 or 3 yet.
I used universal hydraulic fluid to refill when I put all back end together and refilled. Is this still the wrong stuff?
Thanks again!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Here are the prescribed fluids. http://www.hoyetractor.com/support/know ... ?article=1

I personally use Tractor Supply's Traveler brand. Used it in my Yanmar and now use it in a hydrastat. I recommend it, don't think you can do better with your dollar. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... luid-2-gal Also sold in 5 gallon containers.

Does this page cover the parts you are talking about?
Attachments
226 001.JPG
226 001.JPG (204.61 KiB) Viewed 559 times

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:31 pm

I doubt fluid type is the problem. Tractor Ernie always swore by ATF. . . . . but what did he know, he moved to the Bahamas :wink:

mcknightr
Volunteer Poster

Postby mcknightr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:14 am

Yes sir that diagram is what I am referring to. My neighbor just informed me also that my banjo bolt is leaking and he had to find a new copper washer. Could that be the problem? Not building up enough pressure in the hydraulics?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:11 pm

I doubt a slight leak on the banjo bolt is causing your problem.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 am

" Update my buddy just got it to go into 1st gear and reverse and pushed dirt in first gear but wont go into 2 or 3 yet. "
What did you or your buddy do to get that to happen? That's where I would look.

mcknightr
Volunteer Poster

Postby mcknightr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:30 am

He said that after he did that as soon as he would touch the clutch to go to 2 or 3 it would immediately stop and not go in 2 or 3. Does that make any sense? Much appreciated to answer all my dumb questions

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:40 am

If by "touch the clutch" he meant pressing the clutch pedal down, no, that doesn't make sense to me. What if you shifted into 2dn and 3rd using just the hand lever, not the pedal?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:07 am

I''m starting to wonder if your clutch is bad. Moving in 1st and reverse but not higher gears is a side effect of bad clutch.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:44 am

"Universal hydraulic" is universal -- except for Yanmars, which need hydraulic/transmission fluid.

I've heard that some other fluids work fine, and know that the PowerShift will fail with certain incorrect ones. The details are Irrelevant to me because the correct kind is easily available (I get it at Walmart) and priced similar to the alternatives.

Return to “Tech Support”