YM 3220D 3pt lever flops around and won't hold a position

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

rjbarber
Volunteer Poster

YM 3220D 3pt lever flops around and won't hold a position

Postby rjbarber » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:51 pm

I just purchased a YM3220D and am new to tractors. I tried setting up a 5' AgriEase RC shortly after getting the tractor home and discovered that the 3pt hitch control lever just flops around and will only hold 2 positions, full up, or down. If I hold the lever in place with my hand it holds position fine but as soon as I release it vibrations send it on its way and the RC settles to the ground. Not too easy to mow when the front of the RC is sitting on the ground.

Looking at how the lever attaches to the pivot point it looks like there is a nut, jam nut and 4 flat washers. I'm thinking if I loosen the jam nut, tighten the other nut against the flat washers I should be able to find a friction setting that works. Does this sound reasonable or should I be looking at potential trouble some where else? Any help from experienced tractor owners would be appreciated and I can snap some pictures and attache if this issue doesn't ring any bells for those of you with way more experience with Yanmar tractors then me.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM 3220D 3pt lever flops around and won't hold a position

Postby winston » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:45 am

If your setup looks similar to this then you are correct in your thinking.
Attachments
276 001.JPG
276 001.JPG (252.82 KiB) Viewed 269 times

rjbarber
Volunteer Poster

Postby rjbarber » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Winston! I feel better about not looking any further than the lever pivot point initially and will tear into that and see if I can make a difference. Unfortunately I'm a little gun-shy at fixing new things because more often then not I suffer from "Fix it until it's broke" syndrome. Your positive input on my initial course of action is appreciated.

Where did that diagram you posted come from? Is it from a Hoye Parts Manual?

Thank you,
RJ

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:43 pm

It is out of a 276 parts manual. Not to close to your tractor but same maybe similar locking lever set up.

rjbarber
Volunteer Poster

Postby rjbarber » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Tightening the nut on the pivot point did the trick for the 3pt hitch lever. The draft lever is still very loose, which I can't understand because it's on the same pivot shaft, just down stream of the hitch lever. Oh well, the more major problem is fixed and now I can cut my field with the RC and it maintains it's position very well.

Thanks for the help!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:33 pm

I don't know about the draft lever on 3220. My old 2002D had the draft lever as many models do. The 2002D and I know some of the F series draft was actually made for a cable hookup that went to a tiller and then hooked up on the 3 point linkage. Only one person I have read of that actually had that in service. Here is a post showing how it works if you are interested. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanm ... highlight=

I believe some of the models have a draft control that works off a torsion spring but have no idea which ones. That may be what you have. Pictures possible?

Return to “Tech Support”