cutter maintenance

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

cutter maintenance

Postby O~o\ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:07 pm

When I was wrapping up cutting the field with 48" Countyline, I hit something which caused some vibration.
When parked, I looked under the deck. I noticed that the 2 blades were at odd angles. This would cause vibration.
So, I tried to move the blades seperate from the round mount plate. They seem rusted in place and hard to move.
Should I...
1. just spray wd40 on the pivot and work it?
2. Remove the 1.75" nut holding the blades to wire brush, clean, lube and rebuild?

Hint - I'm hoping on #1

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: cutter maintenance

Postby winston » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Can't give a definite correct answer but if the blade is stuck to the point the centrifugal force will not extend it then something may be amuck. I can't imagine it being rusted stuck. Just look it over closely and no harm in working it and trying to free it up.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 pm

"the 2 blades were at odd angles"

Can you describe a bit better?

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:55 am

Do Whatever it takes. The blades must swing freely. This should be checked before every use.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I got under it last night and hosed it down with wd40, then worked the blades. One loosened right up, the other had some brush stem wedged between the blade and the mount disc. With some effort, I got the debris out and got it loose.

As far as rust, this impliment has sat covered in the field for a year and a half. We had lots of snow and rain this year.

Ill take your advice and check it every time.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:19 pm

You will know if the blades are not free, it will vibrate (shake) big time. If not, you know they are ok.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:41 pm

I lift mine before every use, twice a year, clear out any weeds wrapped around, oil, (with 90 wt), and spin the blades around.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 am

If each blade pivots from a stub or mounting disc -- on a bolt that holds it to the mount (you can take the bolt out to remove the blade) -- you could loosen the bolt a bit so the blade pivots freely. To make sure the bolt won't continue self-loosening, take it out, clean its and the receiver's threads with solvent, apply LockTite or somesuch to the threads, and re-install.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:45 pm

alan wrote:If each blade pivots from a stub or mounting disc -- on a bolt that holds it to the mount (you can take the bolt out to remove the blade) -- you could loosen the bolt a bit so the blade pivots freely. To make sure the bolt won't continue self-loosening, take it out, clean its and the receiver's threads with solvent, apply LockTite or somesuch to the threads, and re-install.

OK, just got my hands on a 3/4 drive 1 11/16 socket for that mount nut. I didn't know that the bolt was screwed into a threaded hole. I like your idea of repositioning the bolt with loctite for more end play. I hope my 1/2" impact wrench will do the job.

I will try it as it sits (blades un-bound and pivots sprayed w/ wd40) to see if that worked. If it still binds, I will get some red loctite and back off the bolt .020" and rebuild. I will also work some gear oil in the pivot as Norm suggests.

Thanks

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm

If you don't have a Plews Pistol oiler I would highly recommend one. Would not be without mine for tractor and implement maintenance. https://www.amazon.com/Plews-50-515-Fin ... lews+oiler

Return to “Tech Support”