bush hog questions

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

bush hog questions

Postby O~o\ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 pm

I setup and operated my new countyline 48" coarse cutter last weekend. Setup took a whole day.
The results were fantastic. Gonna cut a few more acres of tall weeds tonight!

Questions:
1. My deck did not come with guards at the front and back of the deck (prevents rock launch).
Where can I find a strip of short chains or rubber strips which are made for this purpose?

2. The nuts which hold the blades on are accessable by a small hole. Nut size around 1.75", so I do need to buy a new 3/4' drive socket for this.
If I use my impact wrench on this nut, will it be tight enough?

3. I was thinking of attaching a can of wasp spray in case I hit a hidden nest.
Is there anything you have learned that you can share about the safe operation of the mower?

Thanks
tractor mower-w_01.jpg
tractor mower-w_01.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 469 times

alan
Volunteer Poster

Re: bush hog questions

Postby alan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:05 pm

1. My deck did not come with guards at the front and back of the deck (prevents rock launch).
Where can I find a strip of short chains or rubber strips which are made for this purpose?

-I removed my guards because I don't want stones bouncing between them and the blades. I just watch where I'm going and see that nobody's in debris range.

2. The nuts which hold the blades on are accessable by a small hole. Nut size around 1.75", so I do need to buy a new 3/4' drive socket for this.

-That's such a huge nut I'd ask the supplier how you should undo them. My 3/4" set doesn't go that big.
Might impact too tight. The direction of turning serves to keep them tight as you go.

Is there anything you have learned that you can share about the safe operation of the mower?

-Attach to what? If you're up in the seat and the tractor's moving I doubt you'd be vulnerable. Return at the end of the day and give them a blast.
Rear mowers are pretty safe in operation. Adjust so the front is 1/4" lower than the back. Photo suggests you're overdone this.
Keep the blade-ends fairly sharp but not knife-edge. Keep away unless the PTO is disconnected or, better, engine's off. Finally, don't cut too much at a time.
Last edited by alan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickHanna
Volunteer Poster

Postby PatrickHanna » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:06 am

I have that same cutter. It gets a little bit of a workout every year. I don't have any guards on mine and have never really had a problem with it. I have seen it launch pieces of sapling a good distance through the air though. I just make sure that there is no one around and if I am cutting near a road I cut in a direction that won't throw stuff on to the road. When it throws debris out the back, the debris always flies to the right. So I mow next to roads with the road on my left side. It throws a little out the front, but not enough that I worry about.

County Line implements are made by a company called Tarter, based in Kentucky. You might be able to contact them and see if they have a shield, but they don't do retail sales so you would have to buy it from a dealer.

http://tarterusa.com/mowers-rotary-cutters

I've also had a little luck with King Kutter parts interchanging with County Line parts. King Kutter sells a 48" rubber and chain guard for the front of their 48" rotary for around $75.

mirion
Volunteer Poster

Postby mirion » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:07 am

What model tractor are you running that on? I have a 1510 and have been considering a brush hog

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:58 am

alan wrote:1. My deck did not come with guards at the front and back of the deck (prevents rock launch).

-I removed my guards because I don't want stones bouncing between them and the blades. I just watch where I'm going and see that nobody's in debris range.

-That's such a huge nut I'd ask the supplier how you should undo them. My 3/4" set doesn't go that big.
Might impact too tight. The direction of turning serves to keep them tight as you go.

-Attach to what? If you're up in the seat and the tractor's moving I doubt you'd be vulnerable. Return at the end of the day and give them a blast.
Rear mowers are pretty safe in operation. Adjust so the front is 1/4" lower than the back. Photo suggests you're overdone this.
Keep the blade-ends fairly sharp but not knife-edge. Keep away unless the PTO is disconnected or, better, engine's off. Finally, don't cut too much at a time.

Alan - thanks for the advice.
1. I worked over some fairly large rocks yesterday without launching one, so I might not need the guards.
2. Looks like new air tools are in order for those blade mounts. TSC, here I come.
3. We had a large colony of Africanized bees move into a smudge pot earlier this year. Thank God for the beekeeper who took them away; it was quite the learning experience! So, hence my concern for hidden nests. We also had a landscaper killed by bees a couple years ago 2 miles away.
I could put a can of spray in my beer holder, but that seems just wrong...

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:02 am

mirion wrote:What model tractor are you running that on? I have a 1510 and have been considering a brush hog

It is a 2210D. At 27 hp, the 48" deck never bogs down running 2200 rpms. Set-up took a while for me, but it seems very well made. I went through 5 foot tall weeds with gusto!

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:05 am

PatrickHanna wrote:I have that same cutter. It gets a little bit of a workout every year. I don't have any guards on mine and have never really had a problem with it. I have seen it launch pieces of sapling a good distance through the air though. I just make sure that there is no one around and if I am cutting near a road I cut in a direction that won't throw stuff on to the road. When it throws debris out the back, the debris always flies to the right. So I mow next to roads with the road on my left side. It throws a little out the front, but not enough that I worry about.

County Line implements are made by a company called Tarter, based in Kentucky. You might be able to contact them and see if they have a shield, but they don't do retail sales so you would have to buy it from a dealer.

http://tarterusa.com/mowers-rotary-cutters

I've also had a little luck with King Kutter parts interchanging with County Line parts. King Kutter sells a 48" rubber and chain guard for the front of their 48" rotary for around $75.

Thanks for the info. Patrick. I appreciate the advice on direction of debris output. I will factor that in my projects.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:47 pm

If you have a compressor, an easy way to touch up the ends of the blades is to get under it with a small air-powered rotor chucked with a metal-grinding stone. (Then a better sharpening with blades off at season end.)

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm

alan wrote:If you have a compressor, an easy way to touch up the ends of the blades is to get under it with a small air-powered rotor chucked with a metal-grinding stone. (Then a better sharpening with blades off at season end.)

Yes, I have a compressor and 2 grinders. How often would you sharpen the blades? 20 hrs? 40hrs?

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm

After sharpening, run a finger over a cutting edge near the end so you know what it feels like. After some mowing, repeat. When it feels dull, it's time.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 am

According to owners' manuals rotary cutter blades should only be sharpened to a 1/16" blunt edge. My 1/16" factory edge has only become slightly rounded in 200 hours use, and still cuts fine.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 am

I should revise my over-generalized answer because it depends on conditions. To mow golf greens you want knife-edge sharpness, whereas if you're controlling overgrowth with a bush hog, duller is better insofar as

-blades not easy to get at to sharpen
-want to keep and use the same blades as many years as possible
-blades will encounter damaging debris or bushes
-you don't want to grind out every nick the blade suffers
-OK if each cut is shredding or ripping rather than a faster-healing surgical snip
-the slight extra power needed for dull blades is not an issue

Return to “Tech Support”