YM240D Governor Issues

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

benbrad
Volunteer Poster

YM240D Governor Issues

Postby benbrad » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:58 pm

I have a YM240D that was running great. It had developed this problem where the throttle would move and you would constantly have to preposition it to maintain the proper RPMs. (If you pushed in the clutch, it would not make the RPMs move, so not a worn engine issue, just the throttle would move) So to finish the job that I was working on I just wedged something between the hood and the throttle so that it wouldn't move.

As I was finishing the job the tractor died and I have not been able to start it again.

It is not getting fuel to the injectors. I replaced the fuel filter thinking it was it. I filled the fuel tank and bled the lines to the injector pump. So at this point I thought it was the injector pump, so I replaced it, no help. I am still only getting fuel just to the injector pump and just a drizzle every once in awhile up to the injectors.

I then remembered about the throttle moving and wondered if the governor has gotten out of adjustment. I have tried to find videos or articles on the governor but they are pretty vague, as is the shop manual. I have checked the fuel rail on the injector pump to make sure it moves freely because I have seen that suggestion, and it does.

Thanks in Advance!!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM240D Governor Issues

Postby winston » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:10 am

Try removing the inspection cover you see right above the pump on this drawing. Then while moving the throttle shut and closed watch the rack making sure it is moving. http://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/YM2000FUELSYS.htm

benbrad
Volunteer Poster

Postby benbrad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Ok, so I just went out and tried moving the fuel rail back and forth. I had someone hold it in several different positions while I turned the engine over, still nothing, no fuel through the steel lines. I also made sure that I had plenty of fuel flow down to the injector pump and I do.

Here are my thoughts: Is my cam worn and not pushing the injector plungers in far enough to pump fuel? Should I remove shims to see. I know the shims are used to set timing, but maybe... haha

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:35 am

This being a new pump makes it all seem strange. I understand holding the rack and if you are holding it in the wide open position that is good. Still wondering what does the rack do when you move the throttle from closed to wide open?

Have you followed these instructions? https://youtu.be/x7Gn_EsSd_k

If you have done all the above correctly then maybe the plungers are sticking in your new pump. Sort of doubting it but most anything is possible.

Return to “Tech Support”