4 Wheel Drive longer engages - FX24D

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

rivercitycat
Volunteer Poster

4 Wheel Drive longer engages - FX24D

Postby rivercitycat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm

FX24D no longer goes into 4 wheel drive. It was working fine and one day it just stopped engaging. The lever moves freely and goes up or down fine but neither position engages the 4 wheel drive any longer. Without it my traction is pretty poor. The manual says push selector forward for 4 wheel drive; but it is more like "down" rather than "forward". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 4 Wheel Drive longer engages - FX24D

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:55 am

Does the lever move freely as in it is just floppy or does it feel like it is still doing something?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am

Here is a picture of your 4 wheel drive shift linkage and gears. First check external, if not there you can see the internal shifting linkage is down deep.

Are you sure your driveshaft is engaging on the balls on both ends? Have you slid the cover back making sure what is not turning?
Attachments
FX24D 001.JPG
FX24D 001.JPG (198.75 KiB) Viewed 266 times

rivercitycat
Volunteer Poster

Postby rivercitycat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Aaron wrote:Does the lever move freely as in it is just floppy or does it feel like it is still doing something?

The lever feels like it did when it was working. I followed the linkage externally and it is all moving (including the shaft into the housing). I guess my next step will to open up the housing and see how much of the linkage is still moving internally. Thank you for your question. I will keep looking.

rivercitycat
Volunteer Poster

Postby rivercitycat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:12 pm

winston wrote:Here is a picture of your 4 wheel drive shift linkage and gears. First check external, if not there you can see the internal shifting linkage is down deep.

Are you sure your driveshaft is engaging on the balls on both ends? Have you slid the cover back making sure what is not turning?

Thank you for the reply. I did follow the linkage on the outside of the housing and everything is moving (including the shaft into the housing). I will have to slide the cover back next to see what is moving and what is not on the inside. I'm not certain how to check the balls on the driveshaft but I have purchased all the parts and service manuals now so I will have some studying and research to do. I will keep you posted of the progress.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:53 pm

I've not seen your model so this may be irrelevant but on mine the problem was a worn shift fork in the drop box.

Return to “Tech Support”