New 2002D Owner

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

smnst
Volunteer Poster

New 2002D Owner

Postby smnst » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Just recently picked up a 2002D. Tractor has 850 hours on a working meter. It definitely has some faded paint, a few scratches and other little signs of being 35 years old, but I am pleased with the overall condition. I feel like I got a pretty good deal and the guy had a 220D operator and service manuals to go with it.

I have already replaced the friction disc as the hand throttle kept drifting back to the idle position. I changed the engine oil/filter and have the hydraulic/trans fluid and filter and gear oil for the front diff ready to go. I just need a new air and fuel filter to complete my "new to me" service package. Anything else obvious I am missing here?

Also, the rear tires are like new, but the fronts are pretty well shot. I have read that the front size should be 5-14, but is has 6-14 on it now. I have not seen a definitive answer on this board as to whether or not I can safely use the 6-14s. Would you guys feel safe with that size or is there substantial risk by not sticking with the original 5-14 size?

Last question. The wheels have some surface rust and I would like to touch them up. A local place quoted me $200 to have all 4 wheels sand blasted, bagged and sprayed with primer. Good price or is it worth the hassle to try and do it myself? I don't have a blaster, so I would have to come up with a different approach.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am excited to get this puppy ready for some work!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: New 2002D Owner

Postby winston » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 am

I am the previous owner of a 2002D. Attaching a thread with my opinion on the tires. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6961&p=24122&hilit=tire+size#p24128

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:19 am

Unless you are into showroom quality just spray with Loctite Extend Rust Treatment and spray paint.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 am

"... $200 to have all 4 wheels sand blasted, bagged and sprayed with primer."

That's a low price (you could buy your own sandblaster if you have a good compressor but a commercial one will work better). Don't understand "bagged."

I'd look for a farm-tire shop that can remove the rubber, blast the rims, powder-coat them (which may only approximate the color you want), re-install rubber with new fronts, inject liquid ballast if you want, and (most important) inspect and test.

smnst
Volunteer Poster

Postby smnst » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Winston - If the 6-14s work for you, that is good enough for me.

Norm - Not looking for showroom quality. This tractor will spend most of the time in the woods. I'll have to look into that Loctite Rust Treatment.

Alan - The shop told me that they bag the tires to keep off the overspray while priming the wheels. I learned that the back tires are loaded, so i'm not sure this particular shop would be able to handle that part. I may be better off searching for a farm-tire shop as you suggested.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Return to “Tech Support”