New 2002D Owner

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

smnst
Volunteer Poster

New 2002D Owner

Postby smnst » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Just recently picked up a 2002D. Tractor has 850 hours on a working meter. It definitely has some faded paint, a few scratches and other little signs of being 35 years old, but I am pleased with the overall condition. I feel like I got a pretty good deal and the guy had a 220D operator and service manuals to go with it.

I have already replaced the friction disc as the hand throttle kept drifting back to the idle position. I changed the engine oil/filter and have the hydraulic/trans fluid and filter and gear oil for the front diff ready to go. I just need a new air and fuel filter to complete my "new to me" service package. Anything else obvious I am missing here?

Also, the rear tires are like new, but the fronts are pretty well shot. I have read that the front size should be 5-14, but is has 6-14 on it now. I have not seen a definitive answer on this board as to whether or not I can safely use the 6-14s. Would you guys feel safe with that size or is there substantial risk by not sticking with the original 5-14 size?

Last question. The wheels have some surface rust and I would like to touch them up. A local place quoted me $200 to have all 4 wheels sand blasted, bagged and sprayed with primer. Good price or is it worth the hassle to try and do it myself? I don't have a blaster, so I would have to come up with a different approach.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am excited to get this puppy ready for some work!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: New 2002D Owner

Postby winston » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 am

I am the previous owner of a 2002D. Attaching a thread with my opinion on the tires. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6961&p=24122&hilit=tire+size#p24128

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:19 am

Unless you are into showroom quality just spray with Loctite Extend Rust Treatment and spray paint.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 am

"... $200 to have all 4 wheels sand blasted, bagged and sprayed with primer."

That's a low price (you could buy your own sandblaster if you have a good compressor but a commercial one will work better). Don't understand "bagged."

I'd look for a farm-tire shop that can remove the rubber, blast the rims, powder-coat them (which may only approximate the color you want), re-install rubber with new fronts, inject liquid ballast if you want, and (most important) inspect and test.

smnst
Volunteer Poster

Postby smnst » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Winston - If the 6-14s work for you, that is good enough for me.

Norm - Not looking for showroom quality. This tractor will spend most of the time in the woods. I'll have to look into that Loctite Rust Treatment.

Alan - The shop told me that they bag the tires to keep off the overspray while priming the wheels. I learned that the back tires are loaded, so i'm not sure this particular shop would be able to handle that part. I may be better off searching for a farm-tire shop as you suggested.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Coy
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I also have a ym 2002d. I believe that I am in Winston’s thread on front tire size. I went with the 6-14’s as I replaced my front tires. Mine shifts from 2x4 to 4x4 with little difficulty when used frequently. It gets little use through the winter months and will become stiff. This may have more to do with the linkage froze into 4x4 when I acquired the tractor. The linkage still likes to rust up a bit when not used regularly. I try to keep some light grease on the connection points to help this.

As for rust on wheels and painting, I have used a rust convertor product that I have gotten from NAPA parts stores in the past. I have used a wire brush on a grinder to knock off lose rust particles then using a rag or a brush applied the rust convertor, then primer and then paint. Much cheaper than sandblasting with decent results. Just another option for your wheels.
Coy

YM2002D with Koyker 110 FEL and 5' box blade, 5' rotary cutter, 53" tiller, & 6' grader blade.

Return to “Tech Support”