Tyres

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Duras
Volunteer Poster

Tyres

Postby Duras » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:03 am

I have a 1820D which was imported from Japan. The original front tyres were Bridgestone 4.5 x 14. When I needed to replace one I couldn't find this size but there were 5 x 14 available. I want to get at least one more tyre but now cannot find any 5 x 14. Any suggestions if another size will fit
(6 x 14 for example) or can I source other wheel sizes and therefore other tyre sizes without messing up differentials etc?

alan
Volunteer Poster

Re: Tyres

Postby alan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:58 am

You can mismatch the fronts, as they are not locked together. You can deviate from the matching of fronts and rears if you never engage 4WD except during slipping.

Matching refers only to the circumference, not the width. Even if you got a pair of exact factory-spec new fronts, there'd be a rolling mismatch with the worn rears. You can adjust the circumference a little by what pressure you put in.

You might want to confirm with a tyre shop that the non-standard rubber will fit the rims.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:37 pm

The original parts manual states fronts should be 5-14. They are easily available in the US. Just looking up one of each the 5-14 was 23.8 diameter and the 6-14 was 24.7 diameter.

Duras
Volunteer Poster

Postby Duras » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:55 am

Thanks for the help. I should have said that the tractor is in France but I've bought tyres before when I'm back in the UK. The tyres in France come in at about $200 each against $70 in the UK so getting them in the UK was a no brainer. Except..... and there always is one, the only supplier I could find previously can no longer get the 5 x 14.
I did wonder about getting them from the US but the shipping and import duties would be very high.
Looking at the front wheels there seems to be a reasonable gap between the inside of the tyre and the steelwork so it should clear so I'll check whether the 6" will be OK on the wheel.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 am

Different opinions on how important it is to have the correct front to rear ratio. My opinion is that it is very important if you use a loaded loader very much.

Return to “Tech Support”