YM226D No hydraulics

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Acorn Farms
Volunteer Poster

YM226D No hydraulics

Postby Acorn Farms » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 am

Hi,
I'm diagnosing a problem with my hydraulics on my YM226D tractor. Both the lift arms in back and the front end loader are effected so its a system problem. Looks like no high pressure oil getting where it needs to be. I loosened the line at the pump and oil squirted out so I don't think its the pump. I suspect the valve assembly under the seat but I don't know how to test it. If anyone has any ideas? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: YM226D No hydraulics

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

How did this problem start or did you get it this way? The pump might be making enough oil to squirt but not enough PSI to actually do anything. A few PSI will make a good mess but it might require hundreds of PSI to lift an empty loader. It could be a keyway sheared on the pump, for example. It will move oil until pressure builds up then the gear will just slip on the shaft.

To really know you would need to put a gauge on it and see what was going on.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:30 pm

When was the internal screen filter last cleaned?

Acorn Farms
Volunteer Poster

Postby Acorn Farms » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Aaron, I was wondering about sufficient pressure too, but I don't have any means of testing it. I'll see what I can buy at the local NAPA.

Alan, I never replaced the screen filter. Don't even kbow where it is. I'll check in the a.m. Thanks

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:01 am

Drain the fluid (which the 226 needs doing every 300 hrs), find the filter underneath, remove, clean, and put back. Then install new hyd/trans fluid. The second filter, an external spin-on opposite the engine-oil filter, IS to be replaced.

You'll find instructions on this site, in previous posts (use the Search function at upper right) and in the technical tips section, so I wouldn't order a new spin-on until you know what other parts it's time for, like the oil and the fuel filter.

A bit of work, especially the first time, so you might want to start by buying some documentation. If Hoye has an Operators Manual (came free with the new tractor), the one for the 226 is good. For the ultimate, order a factory Service Manual (a large 3-ring binder, I think around $80 if they have any). Then, if you get stuck, ask us.

Acorn Farms
Volunteer Poster

Postby Acorn Farms » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks to both Aaron and Alan.

I just ordered both the Service and Parts Manuals. In the mean time, I think I can check out the screen filter. I replaced the oil a while back and I have some on hand as well. I did replace the spin on filter. I can get it locally.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 am

If the filter you obtained locally is for engine oil, it's the wrong one even if its dimensions are identical.

Make sure the fluid is combo hydraulic and transmission -- NOT hydraulic oil.

Acorn Farms
Volunteer Poster

Postby Acorn Farms » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:07 pm

I drained the oil and cleaned the screen filter. It didn't look clogged. I'm thinking that maybe my first guess was right...the pump. Now I'm waiting for the manuals so I can better figure out what's going on inside the transaxle housing, or whatever you call it. Right now its just a black box. Anyway, thanks for the help. I think by the time this is fixed, I'm going to have a much better understanding of the hydraulics.
Thanks Again
Paul

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:11 pm

"Both the lift arms in back and the front end loader are effected" Is there any history -- anything changed -- that might point to the problem? Those pumps are generally good for the life of the tractor.

"I suspect the valve assembly under the seat" Would not affect the FEL.

Acorn Farms
Volunteer Poster

Postby Acorn Farms » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. I've had other commitments.
The manuals arrived and they should be very helpful. I have also ordered a pressure gauge. It will arrive 7/26. Unfortunately I'll be away again starting 7/27. In the mean time, armed with the manual, I should be able to make reasonable progress isolating the problem.

To spell out the problem in more detail:
The hydraulics just quit, both the primary lift arms and the auxiliary FEL. Not much warning. The only problem I have had prior is occasionally implements I was using on the 3 point hitch wouldn't stay up if I let the control lever go. The lever would not stay in place. The lift arms would stay up as long as I held the lever up, but would drop when I let go of the lever. I would just tighten the friction nut but it always seemed strange. I had intended to look into it prior to this major failure.
The FEL never had any problems

That's it; I intend to get on it tomorrow and try to get more data. I will probably crack the auxiliary output and see what squirts out. then the main relief valve etc.

By the way - I will obviously need to refill the system and I was wondering if I end up replacing the pump will I loose a lot of oil? Or is it high enough that I can replace it without much loss?

Thanks for the help.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:32 am

Before tackling the pump, let me ask if the following is correct.

The hitch-height lever would always stay put. Then (with no change to anything in the hydraulics) it would self-lower unless held up. Then the front-and-rear hydraulics suddenly and totally quit but the PowerShift continued to operate normally. And the fluid was the correct type and quantity, and the internal filter was clean and the external was the correct one.

If correct, you could try this rough internal-leak detection method. With the engine turning around 1000 (enough for a flow but not too noisy) and someone intermittently operating the hitch and the FEL, use a mechanics stethoscope to listen along all the hyd passages for a fast flow past a defect. You can buy one for $10 or improvise a length of metal. If no soap, turn the hitch stop valve (black rubber knob 6" below the seat front) full clockwise (to isolate the hitch). There are likely four hyd quick-connections below the FEL control. Disconnect them one at a time and see if the loader operates any of the other functions.

Acorn Farms
Volunteer Poster

Postby Acorn Farms » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 am

Is the following correct? 

The hitch-height lever would always stay put. Then (with no change to anything in the hydraulics) it would self-lower unless held up. (Not that it matters but I couldn't tell if you reported that tightening the nut-and-bolt on the metal arc would keep it up.) 

Yes, but the lever almost felt like it was being pushed down.
Yes, tightening the nut and bolt would hold the lever in any position.

Then the front-and-rear hydraulics suddenly and totally quit but the PowerShift continued to operate normally. And the fluid was the correct type and quantity, and the internal filter was clean and the external was the correct one.

Yes, I was able to drive the tractor into the barn under its own power.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Not knowing you responded to my last posting, I edited it -- making it look like you ignored some of what I said. My fault.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:27 am

Pictures of your loader plumbing or details of how it is plumbed?

There are spring washers and a friction plate on the 3 point lift handle that control the stiffness of operation. Also a double nut on the end of the shaft the handle mounts on.
Attachments
017.JPG
017.JPG (188.01 KiB) Viewed 496 times

Acorn Farms
Volunteer Poster

Postby Acorn Farms » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:29 am

After being away for a week, I returned, manual and a pressure gauge in hand. I refilled the reservoir with hydraulic fluid and fired up the diesel, hoping the cleaning of the screen filter and changing the paper filter would do the trick. At first nothing. However, while I was checking things out I noticed one line that had previously shown no pressure seemed to have a bit in it so I re-started the engine and let it run for a while. Low and behold pressure came up and the hydraulics work.

In retrospect, either the fluid was lower than I thought, or one of the filters was clogged. It could have been far worse. I now have a much better understanding of the hydraulic system and I have shop manuals to refer to for any future issues, I also realize I need to do a better job of maintenance on the tractor in the future.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. I really appreciate it.

Return to “Tech Support”