424 Fails to start below 25 degrees

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

exman217
Volunteer Poster

424 Fails to start below 25 degrees

Postby exman217 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:33 am

We have a 424 that has been a dependable workhorse for 275 hours. It is stored inside an unheated garage, but it is dry and out of the elements. We are very pleased with the tractor with one exception, if the temperature falls below 20 degrees it will not start. By not starting, I mean that when you turn the key nothing happens. Turning the key will not engage the starter. The battery has been checked, it is fine. All of the accessories work, including the the pre heater. Fuses are good, wire connections have been checked (numerous times)...turn the key, no starter function.
The only way to get it started is to get out the salamander heater and direct it at the starter side of the of the engine. Five minutes of heat and it starts no problem. One one occasion I had worked the tractor for over an hour, parked it in the sun and shut it down, half an hour later, had to get out the heater, blast it for 3 minutes and it started right up, even though the engine was still warm to the touch.
Spoke to my dealer, trac is still under warranty, he seemed to think it was some sort of interlock or sensor switch. Whatever it is, it is temp sensitive and seemingly not related to moisture or connections, only cold ambient temps.
I really need some advice on this, could it be some sort of interlock, safety switch, starter solenoid, starter???

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 424 Fails to start below 25 degrees

Postby winston » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:47 am

From reading your post I believe you are turning the key to the left for glow plug action, then to the right after some kind of light goes off?

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 am

Not heard of that problem or seen a 424, so I'm no authority but I would:

Get a remote starter (a cigarette-pack-sized box with a button on it and wires out both ends, about $10 at auto-supply stores). One end clips on the starter terminal on the starter (ask if you don't know), the other on the battery +. Pressing the button engages the starter directly.

If you get turnover from the remote, the problem is electro-mechanical in the starting circuit.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 pm

No clue what a 424 is, but get yourself a schematic and physically check every connection concerned with starting. This is, of course, assuming your battery has ample cca's, (700-800). A battery loses 1/2 it's amperage below 32*.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Not familiar with the 424 either but...

Assuming that:
    - All of the connections have been checked
    - everything works normally except the starter
    - the starter will work normally as soon as the temp increases with no other changes-

I wonder if maybe there is water in your bellhousing and is splashing up into your starter and freezing when it gets cold- preventing the solenoid from moving. I have seen similar, but not exact, situations before.

Spoke to my dealer, trac is still under warranty, he seemed to think it was some sort of interlock or sensor switch. Whatever it is, it is temp sensitive and seemingly not related to moisture or connections, only cold ambient temps.

That seems very unlikely unless it is something in the computer requiring the glow plug to be energized for a period of time before it will allow the starter to engage.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:08 pm

the 424 is one of Yanmars new red tractors.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 pm

How was the battery checked? Anyone who can check the battery should have been able to find the problem. The battery , wiring and voltages have to be checked when it won't start.

grauch
Volunteer Poster

Postby grauch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:12 pm

I have almost 1000 hours on my 424 - it's been rock solid until now. Just installed the front mounted SB52 snow blower and have the same issue after a week of use. It's acting as if PTO is still engaged and there is a safety lockout preventing starting.
My plan is to walk the wires on all safety switches and to try a remote starter in the morning.
Did you ever find out what was causing your issue?

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:09 am

grauch wrote:I have almost 1000 hours on my 424 - it's been rock solid until now. Just installed the front mounted SB52 snow blower and have the same issue after a week of use. It's acting as if PTO is still engaged and there is a safety lockout preventing starting.
My plan is to walk the wires on all safety switches and to try a remote starter in the morning.
Did you ever find out what was causing your issue?

How many volts in your battery? Must be at least 12.6v.

grauch
Volunteer Poster

Postby grauch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Found the issue ! There are safety switches for forward, reverse and brake on the right side of tractor below the platform. The switches freeze from the below zero temps. I built a tent around the base of the tractor and put a heater underneath. Once things started melting, I began working the brake and forward/reverse pedals. When I turned the key, the starter engaged and began cranking. Just plugged the block heater back in - need to use a heat gun on the fuel filter to raise the temp a little, then I'll try getting her started again - we're up to 6 degrees.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Glad you got it figured out. I think I remember reading on one of the Mahindra forums about something like that also.

myklion
Volunteer Poster

Postby myklion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm

grauch wrote:Found the issue ! There are safety switches for forward, reverse and brake on the right side of tractor below the platform. The switches freeze from the below zero temps. I built a tent around the base of the tractor and put a heater underneath. Once things started melting, I began working the brake and forward/reverse pedals. When I turned the key, the starter engaged and began cranking. Just plugged the block heater back in - need to use a heat gun on the fuel filter to raise the temp a little, then I'll try getting her started again - we're up to 6 degrees.

I am having the same exact problem on my Yanmar 2450. Did you ever come up with a permanent solution? Thanks

Return to “Tech Support”