Kill Switch

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

fatman406912
Volunteer Poster

Kill Switch

Postby fatman406912 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Since I put the new engine in my tractor it has been running great. It seems to be running even better since it has a few hours on it now. It's gotten to the point that it runs so good that when I put it away when done with the snow removal that it just doesn't want to quit working. I drive it into the shop, idle it all the way down, turn off the ignition switch, mash the kill button and the engine just slows down a little bit more. It just doesn't want to stop. I end up standing on the brakes, putting it in gear & it'll finally stall out. I need to know how & what to adjust to get this thing to do what I tell it. Help? Please?

Crump
Volunteer Poster

Re: Kill Switch

Postby Crump » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 pm

see the thread below about mounting a gun, then you can threaten it into stopping!! :lol:

Desert Dave
Volunteer Poster

Postby Desert Dave » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 am

I'm guessing that you didn't have this problem before the engine change out. Has this happened right from the start of the new engine? I don't have a kill switch on my 1610D but when I idle down, the throttle lever "kind" of stops moving easily, no hard indent and gives me very low rpm's. To kill it I have to push it forward past that point maybe an inch or so more. Could your throttle linkage be a little out of adjustment? I don't know your model so maybe this is all moot and the kill switch is how yours works. The few items I've had with kill switches always shut them down quick. Kind of wondering if the wire connections are clean, tight and correct for the swt. Might also test the swt to see if it's breaking 100%. MMMM, maybe you've got some phantom voltage going on and the gun mount idea may work :mrgreen:

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:24 am

The 1510 does not have an electric solenoid to kill it. Relies on mechanical shut down. http://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/YM1510THROTTLE.htm
With the throttle pushed all the way forward go to the point where it connects to the governor linkage and see if you can pull the linkage back at that point. That should kill it. If it has been working something has most likely changed in the linkage area.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:23 am

What are you using for a kill switch? You don't have one. If you have a foot throttle, is it restoring fully, (broken or weak spring)? Otherwise trace the throttle linkage to the pump.

fatman406912
Volunteer Poster

Postby fatman406912 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Sorry but I neglected to post that the tractor is a 1510D. Prior to the grind down of the old engine it would kill when throttled down and the kill switch pushed. After the installation of the new engine it took a little while to die out after the kill switch was pushed. As the engine has broken in and idles more smoothly at extremely low rpm it has gotten to the point it won't die out when the kill switch is pushed. It just slows down a little more. I was hoping someone here actually had some experience with adjusting one.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:01 pm

I don't think we are understanding the "kill switch". Factory 1510 didn't come with a kill switch. Igniion switch cranks it and energized electrical but nothing to do with killing the engine. Maybe a picture of what you are pushing?

fatman406912
Volunteer Poster

Postby fatman406912 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Sorry. Not able to post a picture but it pretty much looks like a dimmer switch on a 1968 Ford Falcon. It's located right up tight to the bottom edge of the dash on the right hand side. I think it's mechanical not electrical. Due to a recent surgery I'm unable to bend/twist sufficiently to get a good look at the back side of the switch. I'll have to try to get at it with a mirror & flashlight. I'm guessing it's a linkage adjustment but was just looking to benefit from somebody else's experience.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Mystery to me. Some models have a pull cable for killing such as this. The black knob under the switch. The red cover was put there by me. If yours happens to look anything like that then it should pull to kill, not push.
Attachments
100_3557.JPG
100_3557.JPG (241.92 KiB) Viewed 4999 times

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:34 am

Yannies are designed to quit when the hand-throttle is moved to full low. A few recent models might have a kill switch (and if so I don't know how they work -- fuel cutoff? air cutoff?), but if yours has one, possibly the throttle linkage became faulty for a previous owner -- who then installed it.
The next best (but not recommended) technique is to pull the decompression control. Putting in gear to stall it is pretty crude.

Return to “Tech Support”