YM 2210B Valve Timing Off???

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

pxmntws
Volunteer Poster

YM 2210B Valve Timing Off???

Postby pxmntws » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:05 am

I have a 2210B I have been using for about 2 years parked tractor in the evening, went next day to use and will not start. I knew I had a leaking head gasket but had never had a starting problems. I thought I had maybe burned a valve or something causing the starting problem so I removed the head to check, valves looked good, cylinder walls looked good no scratches. Head gasket was defiantly leaking so I put the tractor back together with new gasket, still will not start, I have bled fuel lines. When I crank it over I see diesel fumes coming out the exhaust, I removed the hose from the air cleaner and cranked it over and see fumes coming out of the intake port to. Question is it possible for camshaft to get of time, can't see why it was running OK when parked and will not even try to fire next day. Please advise, not sure what to do next.

Thank in advance.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: YM 2210B Valve Timing Off???

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:32 am

Question is it possible for camshaft to get of time,

No. not without removing the front cover of the engine and intentionally changing it.

can't see why it was running OK when parked and will not even try to fire next day

Did you set the valves when you put the head back on?

pxmntws
Volunteer Poster

Postby pxmntws » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:16 am

Yes went over first time set .005" and second time .008" just to make sure valves were closing. Adjusted at TDC compression stroke on both cylinders.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 am

Adjusted at TDC compression stroke on both cylinders.

Not exactly sure what that means but just to be sure set them like the instructions below
http://www.hoyetractor.com/valve-set.htm

It could be possible that the head gasket leaked water on top of the piston overnight. When you turned the engine over in the morning it broke something (water does not compress). If you have fuel, and air (intake and exhaust), then the only thing left is spark. It might be time for a compression test.
http://www.hoyetractor.com/trouble.htm

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Maybe bad injector? Maybe pull them and test the pattern. http://www.hoyetractor.com/support/know ... article=43

pxmntws
Volunteer Poster

Postby pxmntws » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:14 pm

I can't see two injectors going bad simultaneously in one day, plus the fact that I have atomized diesel fuel coming out of the exhaust. I do really appreciate any and all suggestions. I agree with Aron I think this is a compression issue. I am not experienced with diesel engines just not sure how to fix it. I am thinking compression gage is the next purchase to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks to all.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Any water in the fuel filter bowl. Exactly how did you bleed the fuel lines?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:12 am

pxmntws wrote:I can't see two injectors going bad simultaneously in one day, plus the fact that I have atomized diesel fuel coming out of the exhaust. I do really appreciate any and all suggestions. I agree with Aron I think this is a compression issue. I am not experienced with diesel engines just not sure how to fix it. I am thinking compression gage is the next purchase to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks to all.

I'm sure you are correct but I doubt two injectors would have to go bad to cause cranking problems. You will have to remove the injector to do a compression test anyway.

pxmntws
Volunteer Poster

Postby pxmntws » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Well I guess I will have to make a puller and see, I hope you are right that would be a much easer fix than pistons and sleeves and a valve grind.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Not saying yours will but mine came out by hand on my old 2002D.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:48 am

Eliminate the easy stuff first, fuel filter, air filter, water in gas, plugged exhaust, complete, correct bleeding. Too bad you did not troubleshoot and get started before removing head. Now could be multiple problems.

pxmntws
Volunteer Poster

Postby pxmntws » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:15 am

Yesterday I pulled the head back off again for the third time and went ahead and lapped the valves, just to be able to rule that out. The valve guides feel good and valves look like new after cleaning valve seals need to be replaced. Head and top off the block are both clean as a whistle checking for cracks. I cranked it over still nothing, tried using starter fluid and still nothing? I have replaced fuel filter and bled at the pump inlet and backed off injector lines and bled there as well the first time I put it back together. Next I will pull injectors just to rule that out. Is it possible to loose so much compression past pistons that will not even fire with starter fluid??

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:55 am

I don't know how much starting fluid you have used, hoping not much. Numerous people have broken piston lands on these things. They will not tolerate much starting fluid.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:59 am

tried using starter fluid and still nothing?

:shock: If you use starting fluid you are just going to make your problems worse. Did you use starting fluid before this? If so, that is likely the cause of all of your problems. You will likely find pistons with broken ring grooves.

Is it possible to loose so much compression past pistons that will not even fire with starter fluid??

Yes

I sure would have checked the injectors and compression before removing the head again.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:18 pm

" parked tractor in the evening, went next day to use and will not start."

If we can assume from this that the tractor was running fine when you parked it, it defies all logic that it will suddenly not start because of low compression.

Return to “Tech Support”