New to me, YM155D scary clanking noise and locked wheel

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

CreativeGuy
Volunteer Poster

New to me, YM155D scary clanking noise and locked wheel

Postby CreativeGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Hello, I recently purchased a YM155D with FEL to maintain our long (and in some parts) fairly steep driveway. And because of the hill, I just purchased and installed a ROPS from Hoye. :) When I'm hauling gravel up the hill, I generally keep it in Low range and second or third gear. And sometimes High range and first gear but when I do that the engine really starts to smoke (exhaust) when it bogs down on the really steep part. (But this is a different issue that I'm not so worried about because I'll just run it in Low.)

However, the other day I was hauling just a few bricks (20) up the hill so I figured High range, third gear would get me up with little strain on the tractor. Well when I was almost to the top the right rear wheel locked up and there was a disturbing clanking/clunking noise. I immediately stopped the tractor. I tried to move forward in High range-first gear but there was a jerky movement with the right wheel. I then put it in Low range, first gear and it seemed to progress normally albeit slowly up the rest of the hill where I parked on level ground.

I have no idea what to do next. If its going to be fine keeping it in Low range then that's what I'll do but I have a feeling there might be something more major afoot. I hope I didn't just buy my way into a money pit. :oops:

Any trustworthy tractor mechanics in Oregon?

Advise please.
Steve

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: New to me, YM155D scary clanking noise and locked wheel

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Something is wrong and I probably would not keep running it that way until I figured out what it was. Those things usually don't fix themselves and tend to get more expensive the longer they are used. So you are saying the right rear wheel just stopped pulling or stopped turning (as in it was dragging/locked up)?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Don't suppose you tried but wonder what would happen if you engaged the differential lock? Not sure how the 155 differential lock works. Are you certain the noise and locking was in the right rear wheel and not the transmission? Jerky motion would indicate a gear not properly meshed.

CreativeGuy
Volunteer Poster

Postby CreativeGuy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi. I had not engaged the Diff Lock. The wheel did kind of jerk like it wasn't engaging. I'm not sure what my next move should be.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:56 pm

http://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/155REARAX.htm
Check item 28, brake pinion shaft for broken teeth, etc., Possibly even broken shaft or other part in vicinity. (drives R. rear axle and brake drum).

CreativeGuy
Volunteer Poster

Postby CreativeGuy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Thank you Norm, and everyone else. I guess I'll be getting my hands greasy soon. I'll hope it's something simple.

Cheers,
Steve

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:14 pm

I will share something with you that might help.

CreativeGuy
Volunteer Poster

Postby CreativeGuy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:43 pm

OK, I just replaced the front left axle seal (another issue with this tractor) and while the tractor was Jacked up I (carefully) started it up and put it in gear to see if everything was running. All the wheels spun with no clanking or locking wheels. I then tentatively drove it around a bit and seems to be ok. I know things don't generally fix themselves but cracking open a tractor is a bit beyond my comfort level. I'm trying to figure my next move. I think the guy who sold this YM155D ran it much harder than he let on and it was my-bad for not being more diligent in checking the tractor out.

So I either try to sell it now and take a loss (both money and pride) then rent a tractor when In need it,
Or perhaps trade it to a dealer for a different tractor (I'm looking at a 1610D with Powershift which would be safer on my steep hills I would think),
(Unlike the seller, I have a conscience and would'd try to sell or trade this as a "ready to work" tractor)

Or find someone here in Oregon with the knowledge, skills and shop space to rebuild this tractor from the inside out.
Is this even a worthwhile prospect? How much might I expect it to cost to have both the front and rear end gears and transmission refurbished? As far as I can tell, the engine is in great shape though it does get a little smokey when under a heavy load.

All thoughts appreciated.
Steve

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Many of those gears would likely be hard to come by. Transmission and front end don't need to be completely rebuilt. Just need to find the problem and fix it. Maybe you can find a shop willing to do that or sell as is.

CreativeGuy
Volunteer Poster

Postby CreativeGuy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks Norm,
I guess my next question might be what this YM155D might be worth to sell "as is". It has a FEL and brand new ROPs from Hoye. The tires are in OK shape. The hour meter reads 259.7. The engine starts right up. There is the unknown issue of the clanking and rear wheel lock (which hasn't recured) and the front wheels sometimes seem to slip out of 4WD. I have nearly 5 grand into this and have only operated it for about 2 hours since I got it. If i had a shop and the mechanical where-withal, I might try and tackle a rebuild but I'm afraid I'm a bit out of my league.

Thanks for your input.
IMG_0854.JPG
YM155D
IMG_0854.JPG (154.78 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 pm

The 155 is a popular model so (if something's failed and you can find what it is) there are parts units in tractor yards. And three-digit Yanmars are export models that have Service Manuals in English available. (Four-digit models are "gray market" units that Yanmar does not support over here, and there aren't many 1610s around.)

No such tractor is hill safe -- just be careful especially with a loaded and raised bucket. A number of posts here address increasing the rear track (though from the photo it was likely done) and adding low weights.

Don't use 4WD unless needed for traction. The diff lock was mentioned because if it had been left engaged, well, you don't want to know.

The best of luck to you and it's a nice model, but don't believe it's been running an average of ten hours a year.

CreativeGuy
Volunteer Poster

Postby CreativeGuy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Alan,
Thanks for your response. Perhaps I need to rethink keeping this tractor being that is a popular "domestic" model. If I wasn't worried about possibly having to sink a lot of cash into repair work, I would consider getting Hoye's Turf wheel kit to give me a lower wider stance on the hills. Or possibly the rear wheel spacer kit. I don't think there is a lot of life left in the tires on "Yanny" so I"m going to have to do something sometime if I'm going to keep this tractor.
Oh,and you mentioned weights on the wheels. The rears are filled with some sort of oil or liquid so they are pretty heavy.
Oh, and about running it in 2WD, I thought this 155D always ran in 4WD. Is there a way to switch to 2WD?

Thanks,
Steve

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:22 pm

ohmygod

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:45 pm

You can look at Figure 27 in your parts manual and see the 4 wheel drive shift lever. #39. Four wheel drive is only to be used when needed and carefully when on hard surface.

CreativeGuy
Volunteer Poster

Postby CreativeGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:27 am

I apologize for my ignorance of the 4WD lever. The previous owner didn't give me much instruction on it when I bought the tractor. (Again, my bad). I used to have a small Struck Magnatrack bulldozer which was much simpler mechanically. I never had to deal with all these gears.
Frankly though, I don't ever really see not using this in 4WD. Our property is Hilly and either gravel or dirt. I don't perceive driving this much on level hard surfaces. But it's good to know that I can switch to 2WD if I do.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “Tech Support”