New to me, YM155D scary clanking noise and locked wheel

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

alan
Volunteer Poster

Re: New to me, YM155D scary clanking noise and locked wheel

Postby alan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:59 pm

OK

To add to Winston's comment, I assume you know what a differential is and what it's for, for instance between the rear wheels.

There is no differential between front and rear. (That's the case in most tractors and in all Yanmars.) If the road was perfect, if the tires were perfect, if you drove only perfectly straight ahead, theoretically you would not need one. But in an imperfect world, if you leave it in 4, once there's solid traction, even for a short distance, you invite an approach to lockup. That means at least 1 rear has been turning at a (slightly) different speed than at least 1 of the fronts, which will strain the drive system. Generally one of the fronts (smaller and much less loaded than the rears) will just scrub a bit in response to the driveline pressure, and lockup is avoided. But put a heavy loader over them, and eventually the driveline strain is more than the gears can turn through, and they jam up.

The good news is that lockup may possibly explain the symptoms you introduced yourself with.

Coy
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am

To add a bit to what Alan and Winston have said for others information, any hard surface including packed/baked clay/gavel could create the 4wd ‘lockup’ issue (been there did that). My 4wd linkage was rusted up when I first got my ym2002d and I also thought no big deal as I would be mostly using rotary cutter on hills and grading a gravel driveway.

Most likely when you jacked up the entire tractor as I understood you had all 4 wheels off the ground, you freed the ‘lockup’ condition with a free spin of the wheels.
I have to from time to time clean my linkage to allow the 4wd lever to move by hand.

If money was available, I would love to have a set of turf tires and wheels but not ready to get rid of my r-1’s either.
Coy

YM2002D with Koyker 110 FEL and 5' box blade, 5' rotary cutter, 53" tiller, & 6' grader blade.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 pm

If the lever doesn't slip easily back to 2, drive a few feet in the opposite direction from the last drive to release any lockup pressure.

Return to “Tech Support”