rear wheel spacers?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

rear wheel spacers?

Postby O~o\ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Have any of you bought these? = http://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/RAS-064.htm

I'm looking for stability. Wheel weights are not available. It seems like most liquid ballast has it's down side - toxic to animals and/or corrosive or freeze. (no, I can't get beet juice here in AZ) Already switched tires for wider stance.

Are these wheel spacers as good as they look? I'm stoked!!! :P

alan
Volunteer Poster

Re: rear wheel spacers?

Postby alan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:00 pm

No experience with spacers but agree they look good. As for liquid,

You'd need tubes. And it you have to remove a wheel, it's heavy. And it reduces the flex a smidge. And you probably want a pro to inject it (though YouTube shows how).

I did mine in 1980. In Canada they used calcium chloride, which corroded the valves after a couple of years. Easily replaced, and no problems in the next 5,000 hrs.

Your local farm-tire or tractor shop likely has better liquids now. And you could do both.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:30 pm

alan wrote:No experience with spacers but agree they look good. As for liquid,

You'd need tubes. And it you have to remove a wheel, it's heavy. And it reduces the flex a smidge. And you probably want a pro to inject it (though YouTube shows how).

I did mine in 1980. In Canada they used calcium chloride, which corroded the valves after a couple of years. Easily replaced, and no problems in the next 5,000 hrs.

Your local farm-tire or tractor shop likely has better liquids now. And you could do both.

Well Alan, I ordered them from Aron with the dust covers. I will re-post here when I get them installed. Thanks for your comments.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Re: rear wheel spacers!

Postby O~o\ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:52 pm

They arrived and naturally, I didn't have the necessary 15/16 short 3/8 drive socket needed - trip to town and an hour and a half wasted, then got to the install. [Note to self: SAE and metric deep drive impact sockets can't do everything!]

These babies are nicely machined and mate directly up to the wheel hubs perfectly. You need magicians hands to insert the dang bolts into the hidden holes though. After some time and colorful language, I got it all installed. Without the trip to town, this is about a 2 hour install for my slow a55.

FIELD TEST: After gaining 5.5" width earlier swapping rear tires, this mod gave me 8" more width for 13.5" total width increase. Now my rear wheel width is just 4" less than my 5' FEL and scraper box. The difference is amazing! I've been working on a 600' ditch, fixing 20 years of erosion. At the start with narrow tires, this project stopped me in many places because of tilt. Now, I can negotiate some previously scary terrain with stability {and a beer in hand} comfortably.

REVIEW RATING: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 5 smiles out of 5

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:34 am

Glad to hear you like them! Do you happen to have any pictures of them installed?

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:46 pm

I indeed have before and after pics on my other pc. I will try to post them tomorrow.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Original config...
Attachments
wheels-original-sm.jpg
wheels-original-sm.jpg (141.01 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 pm

With wheel swap +5.5" and spacers +8" = 13.5" wider.
Attachments
spacers-sm.jpg
spacers-sm.jpg (161.86 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:59 pm

I like it.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:08 pm

That made a big difference!

Gabrunelle
Volunteer Poster

Postby Gabrunelle » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:35 pm

My suggestion before you start putting these spacers on is that you make sure you have a 15/16 3/8 in short socket. The lug nuts are 7/8 with the same bolt diameter which would be the same shear strength. So like a previous post said, I also had to make a trip to the auto store, which did not have a 3/8 drive 15/16. So I bought the 1/2 in. iT WON'T work. More than frustrating! So now a trip to a different store tomorrow. Anyone have a good reason why they had to go with a bigger bolt head size from the bolts that hold the wheel on?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:20 am

Anyone have a good reason why they had to go with a bigger bolt head size from the bolts that hold the wheel on?

That exact small-head bolt is not something available in the USA (at least not that I have found). Having custom bolts made for this application was not a reasonable option. The 3/8" extension note has been in the instructions since day 1 but I also just added the notes about the 24mm shallow socket. We appreciate the feedback.

Gabrunelle
Volunteer Poster

Postby Gabrunelle » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:54 am

When I said the half in socket won't work, I forgot to mention that I tried to use an adapter down to 3/8. The half in socket won't work because there is not enough room for the adapter and the socket. That's why you need a 24mm or 15/16 SHORT SOCKET

vbull
Volunteer Poster

Postby vbull » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:30 pm

I just installed the wheel spacers on my 1720d. Ran into the same issue with socket and drive size.
I could have sworn I had a shallow 15/16" socket 3/8" drive but did not.

I took a 1/2" drive 15/16" shallow socket and faced off about 3/16" off the back of the socket, then turned down a Craftsman 1/2" socket extension until it went through the threaded hole for the external bolts. There is enough of the square drive on the extension to work fine.

I have not put any time on the tractor with the spacers yet. Just drove it to the barn after getting everything mounted. I'll get some seat time tomorrow.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:06 pm

vbull wrote:I just installed the wheel spacers on my 1720d. Ran into the same issue with socket and drive size.
I could have sworn I had a shallow 15/16" socket 3/8" drive but did not.

I took a 1/2" drive 15/16" shallow socket and faced off about 3/16" off the back of the socket, then turned down a Craftsman 1/2" socket extension until it went through the threaded hole for the external bolts. There is enough of the square drive on the extension to work fine.

I have not put any time on the tractor with the spacers yet. Just drove it to the barn after getting everything mounted. I'll get some seat time tomorrow.

I'm interested in how it works for you. Please give us your review after some seat time. I can't overstate how mucho better my rig handles on slopes. I can't even whine about the trip to town for the 15/16x 3/8 shallow.

Also- much respect for your re-machining your drive bits!

Return to “Tech Support”