HARBOR FREIGHT QUICK HITCH

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

AZ1500d
Volunteer Poster

HARBOR FREIGHT QUICK HITCH

Postby AZ1500d » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:23 pm

I have a YM1500d w/3-point installed. I'm guessing my 3-point is a Cat-0. Looking at the 3-point section on Hoye site my hitch matches the parts shown. If possible I would like to install the HF quick hitch. Any advise welcome.

The HF QH needs about 28" for the lowers to attach from the tractor and the implement to connect onto the hooks. See HF 97214.
My 3-point checks out as Cat 1 uppers and lowers the exception seems to be the 23" spread on the lowers. Also the HF has 3/4" mounting for the lowers which for the time being is not an issue. I can enlarge the hole if necessary.
I'm checking on a different set of lowers that might spread wider.

Bottom line is starting to look like return hitch to HF and look for another hitch.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by AZ1500d on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Re: HARBOR FREIGHT QUICK HITCH

Postby alan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:21 am

I thought the 1500 is Cat I.

There's a variety of quick-hitch designs. Tractorbynet just came out with a new one. So look around.

Downside: Your hitch has a weight limit (maybe 500 lbs) so the heavier the quick-hitch, the less the remainder. If the attachment flops the wrong way after removal, it's work to get it in position for the quick-hitch to grab it. And it's no help insofar as the attachment needs a PTO connection.

I put my resources into making a support-stand for each attachment so upon disconnection it stays exactly where it was.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:35 am

Easy to determine what category your hitch is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_hitch

I have used a Harbor Freight quick hitch for years on both a Yanmar and now a Bobcat. I did have to make some changes on some implements in order for it to work. I can pretty much assure you it will not work with all category 1 implements. Once everything matches it is a nice convenience when you change implements as often as I do. Just don't expect it to fit all implements.

Iexpedite
Volunteer Poster

Postby Iexpedite » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm setting up my 2210D and implements to work with a HF quick hitch right now. I thought I needed one even though I only hook to a piece of equipment once every two months on average. I wanted the extra 30 pounds ballast and I like the idea of hooking up without getting off the tractor. I found a lightly used hitch for $50. My implements are an old bush hog and an old box blade which I use for ballast and seldom remove.

First thing I had to get was new bushings to convert the Cat 1 implement pins to Cat 3 so they would fit the lower quick hitch points. They make parts to do the job, but they were a little pricey for me so I adapted Cat 3 top link bushings and drilled out some PVC pipe to fit inside to eliminate any play. The implement top links wouldn't fit due to the position of their pins. I had to purchased the HF top link adapter. When I tried to hook up my box blade I found that I had two supports blocking the lower hitch pins. I had to remove the supports before I could connect. When I tried to use the top link adapter on my bush hog I found it was too short to allow the top pin to float. So now I have to weld an extension on to the top link adapter so that I have more pin positions and can float the top pin while mowing. My old top link turn-buckle is also too long now and today I purchased a shorter one so that I had enough adjustability to position my box blade properly.

I'm in it for about $130. now and I still have to get off the tractor to connect the top link adapter. If I wouldn't have purchased the quick hitch for half price and tax free I would be out about $190. for my two implements. If I purchase another implement it may not connect and I will have to adapt it or remove the quick hitch before use.

In time I may feel like it was worth it. Right now I think I have gotten myself into it and have to spend my way out of it.

MesaAZguy
Volunteer Poster

Postby MesaAZguy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:54 pm

I installed a SpeeCo quick hitch bought online for $185 delivered. Its more than the HF unit, but I liked that this company makes their products in America.
Its mostly used with my box blade and trailer hitch.

I modified the box blade top link to allow the QH top hook to grab it. It works perfectly!

-Simon

Yanmar 1802D

Iexpedite
Volunteer Poster

Postby Iexpedite » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:54 pm

MesaAZguy wrote:I installed a SpeeCo quick hitch bought online for $185 delivered. Its more than the HF unit, but I liked that this company makes their products in America.

Hence the Japanese tractor?

AZ1500d
Volunteer Poster

Postby AZ1500d » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:45 am

[quote="MesaAZguy"]I installed a SpeeCo quick hitch bought online for $185 delivered. Its more than the HF unit, but I liked that this company makes their products in America.]

Nice job! Looks exactly likewhat I'm trying to do.

What is the width of the SpeeCo QH and center to center measurement of attachment points for the lower lift arms and implement hooks?

Looks like you replaced the original straight lower lifts with offset lower lift arms. Did these arms come from Hoye or where can they be bought?

It also looks like you used sway chains. I would have to make a mounting for one end at the axel with the other end on the lower lift. I might be able to reuse the original stabilizer arms.

When I get the HF QH partially mounted then I can figure out if there are any side lift issues.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:17 am

I made this adapter for the top link.
Attachments
100_3995.JPG
100_3995.JPG (230.11 KiB) Viewed 4816 times

Iexpedite
Volunteer Poster

Postby Iexpedite » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:53 am

Winston,

Your home-made adapter is similar to the one I purchased from HF for $16.00. I don't weld so I had to buy instead. My bush hogs top link is slotted so that it can float. The HF adapter and the one you made from the looks of it, are too short to reach the middle of the bush hogs slotted top-link connection. I need to lengthen the adapter pin area so I can get the float I need to keep the connection from binding.

AZ1500d
Volunteer Poster

Postby AZ1500d » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:07 pm

winston wrote:I made this adapter for the top link.

I have a 1500d and am trying to gather enough info to get the HF QH installed. Take a look at my original post for more info.
What model tractor do you have? What is the center to center distance between the implement hooks which should be the same as the lower link measurement. This would tell me if the hitch that I just bought is the same as earlier hitches. Your lowers look like straight and a couple other pictures show "offset lowers" that gets the QH out past the tires. That is a real confusion point for me right now (again see my original post for more info). Also just curious what the center to center distance is between your rear tires...that will help me get a better perspective of your installation. On my tractor the QH overall width will be not quite center to center on the rear tires. On your picture it looks like the QH is inside the rear tires. It also looks like you used sway chains on the lowers. If I have to use sways instead of the original stabilizer braces then I will also have to make a hook point bracket or something on the rear axel axels. BTW I really like the way you stabilized your tow bar to keep the ball from turning and connected to the pin hitch.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:02 am

I had a YM2002D. I now have a Bobcat CT235. The hitch fits on both and is now on the Bobcat. Lower lift arms on Yanmar had offsets. About 27-1/2" between hitch where pins drop in making it appx 28-3/4" for pin centers. My implements vary, some are wider than others. When adapting them I made them fit close to the hitch for most pin strength. Different model Yanmars have different versions of sway chains. My 2002D had chains on the outside of lift arms. Your 155 has turnbuckles on the inside. Both are adjustable. Sorry, I don't have it recorded and don't know the center distance of rear wheels on the 2002D, but it should be irrelevant with the quick hitch. I believe your tires can be adjusted in and out some.

For what it's worth the 155 parts manual shows a category 0 and category 1 hitch. Seems either were options.

dagnblond
Volunteer Poster

Postby dagnblond » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:11 am

I have a 1401D tried the HF one but it would not work with my implements at all it is too wide so took it back and got Pats quick hitch it works great just took a bit to get them adjusted to work

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:43 am

dagnblond wrote:I have a 1401D tried the HF one but it would not work with my implements at all it is too wide so took it back and got Pats quick hitch it works great just took a bit to get them adjusted to work

If I had it all to do over again that is the way I would go. To many implements will not hook up the the quick hitch without some kind of modification.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:36 pm

I actually ended up going back to a quick hitch (Titan Cat2). I had to modify a couple things including a heavy modification to my LMC box blade (cut off all of the brackets & re-fab). Everything I have is now QH.

dagnblond
Volunteer Poster

Postby dagnblond » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:31 pm

qh1.jpg
HF QH
qh1.jpg (228.88 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
this is the problem I had with the one from HF

qh2.jpg
Pats
qh2.jpg (188.08 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
this fixed the problem