Clunking in 4WD - what could be wrong?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Clunking in 4WD - what could be wrong?

Postby winston » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:02 am

Wonder if this is the correct part number? If so, wonder if it is new or used? https://secure.yesterdaystractors.com/c ... e/kart.cgi

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:12 am

winston wrote:Wonder if this is the correct part number? If so, wonder if it is new or used? https://secure.yesterdaystractors.com/c ... e/kart.cgi

Can you link to the part page? That's the cart link which shows empty for me since I haven't added anything to the cart. :)

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:18 am

Something else I noticed today is the same ring/pinion set was supposedly used on the John Deere 750 and 850 models:

RGP-4311Front ring gear & pinion (1)
750, 850 sn 16001 up
Repl. CH14575

EDIT: shaft end looks different, nevermind.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:55 am

agirlandhertractor wrote:
winston wrote:Wonder if this is the correct part number? If so, wonder if it is new or used? https://secure.yesterdaystractors.com/c ... e/kart.cgi

Can you link to the part page? That's the cart link which shows empty for me since I haven't added anything to the cart. :)

Don't understand. It is showing 1 ea at a total price with shipping of $732.21.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:07 am

winston wrote:

It's showing on your computer, but not mine. I can't see what's in your cart. If I added something to my cart, you wouldn't be able to see what I added either. I am a computer programmer and can explain this in more detail but it might bore you. :D

Can you see a part number or some other info in your cart list? I tried searching on yesterdaystractors for the RGP-4311 and came up empty. Can you link me to the page you went to before adding it to your cart? I know you are in UK or I'd invite you to phone me - sometimes its easier to talk through steps.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:37 am

The RGP-4311 does not fit the 1601D.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:43 am

winston wrote:

Nevermind, I found a ring/pinion matched set for 550 from a salvage yard. Gonna talk with a small welding shop down the road to see what they say about R&R the existing part. May talk with the big machine shop up in Norcorss too.

I'll circle back later.

I think it's time to get a different tractor once I get this part fixed. Maybe get a newer John Deere or Kubota. Parts availability won't get any better for these early 80's Yanmars as time goes on.... not unless someone decides to start manufacturing parts like the ring & pinion again, which we all know ain't happening.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:46 am

Maybe get a newer John Deere or Kubota. Parts availability won't get any better for these early 80's Yanmars as time goes on

I would carefully research the parts availability for any newer Deere. You would be amazed at the number of calls we get from angry Deere owners when they find out that even basic parts for a 10 year old Deere are not available. In general, parts availability for the older Yanmars continue to get better with time.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:58 pm

From what I can see that pinion shaft should work fine with a new coupler and fix whatever caused the problem.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Norm wrote:From what I can see that pinion shaft should work fine with a new coupler and fix whatever caused the problem.

That's only 55 bucks. Plus a new $10 spring and new shaft/coupler bearings.

Still looking around at options for a tractor upgrade. I'd like something with more than 20hp... maybe in the 25hp range. The Hoye page swears by the 2210D, but the engine is a 2 cylinder.. kinda prefer the 3 cylinder for smoothness/quietness.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:40 pm

I am not from the UK. I am from North East Texas. Norfolktoad is from the UK.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... r&&md=220D

RJB
Volunteer Poster

Postby RJB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:14 am

Food for Thought :idea: Do you think maybe the weight of the crusher run in your bucket created a situation where the the front wheels could not slip causing your problem :?: Just trying to determine what caused your problem so I don't have a similar one.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 am

RJB wrote:Food for Thought :idea: Do you think maybe the weight of the crusher run in your bucket created a situation where the the front wheels could not slip causing your problem :?: Just trying to determine what caused your problem so I don't have a similar one.

Pretty sure I was driving over a small pile of gravel when the front axle became unlevel in both directions.. started hearing the infrequent clunking noise after. It was operator error I'm sure.

RJB
Volunteer Poster

Postby RJB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:07 am

If that was the problem you might want to consider checking the bushings in the axle housing where it swivels at the frame. Must be some slack if it let your drive line get out of alignment. Good Luck on your repair. :)

sega
Volunteer Poster

Postby sega » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Have the same problem with my Yanmar1610D. Pinion gear is bad and to fix it I have to purchase the whole setup. Cannot believe the price they are getting to the parts. Thinking about parting my Yanmar out on E-Bay. Or maybe selling as a fixer up to somebody.

Return to “Tech Support”