Clunking in 4WD - what could be wrong?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Clunking in 4WD - what could be wrong?

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:07 pm

I was moving some crusher run today when I noticed the tractor making an audible *clunk* noise while in 4WD and a load is placed on the machine (either using bucket or even pulling a scrape blade). It does not happen in 2WD.

What could this be?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Clunking in 4WD - what could be wrong?

Postby winston » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:42 am

Bad bearing, gear, etc. Sure it is not coming from the drive shaft area?

Maybe jack it up and wiggle, roll wheels looking and listening for looseness or noise.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:49 am

Yeah, I guess I need to plan on taking the shaft off and inspecting. It's been so long since I had it off.. will I have to drain the transaxle fluid first?

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:05 am

Gee whiz my memory has "issues". I had a similar problem 3 years ago, here's that thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3578&start=15

This behaves like a different issue with the drive train but the post link right above shows how to remove & reinstall the shaft. If I have to replace the collar and seal I'll know how to do it myself this time (assuming the collar is accessible from outside of the differential.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:00 am

I wouldn't take anything apart before jacking up and rolling and checking for play and noise. Try to course the problem

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:05 am

Well the clunk isn't heard unless there is a significant load on the drive train. How would I reproduce that while laying under the tractor (and not get run over lol)?

I have to finish up a gravel driveway then will be able to bring it home and poke around a bit.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:10 am

You probably can't produce the clunk without load. However, you might find slack or looseness. I just hate to start taking things apart without a clue as to where the problem is. Just my thinking, doesn't mean it is the correct way to go about it.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:12 am

I will follow your advice once I have Elsie back home in the shop.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Getting back to my tractor after a couple months of back sprains & holidays.

Climbed up under the machine and pulled the driveshaft cover tonight. Back connection looks solid, but the front looks off. As you can maybe see in the photos below, I can see bearings just looking up the shaft toward the front differential. Feels like one of the balls might be missing from checking around. I remember the rear joint having 4-5 big ball bearings but I didn't think the front half worked the same.

Any ideas Winston?

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Its deja vu all over again... re-reading my "lost 4x4" thread from 2012 and it looks like the front bearings may be culprit.

Need to go ahead and pull the entire shaft. I'll try to leave the back coupler attached so I don't have to fool with twice the amount of loose bearings. If I can get to the front collar I'll work on getting it swapped out too.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:43 am

Looks like part of #6 bearing retainer poking out in picture #2. http://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/16014WDINT.htm

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:01 am

winston wrote:Looks like part of #6 bearing retainer poking out in picture #2. http://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/16014WDINT.htm

Wonder if I'll be able to get the collar pulled without having to take apart the diff? I know how the collar on the back half of the drive shaft comes off now (and coulda saved myself $130 doing it myself), but the front collar looks like it is a different shape altogether.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:35 am

"If" the bearing is bad I believe you will have to pull the pinion gear assembly off the differential. There will be shims behind it that control the backlash on the pinion/ring gear. I believe that would be the correct way to go about changing the bearing, collar, and seal. With your tenacity changing that bearing would be a cinch.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Well, bad news.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 am

I can plainly see the pinion shaft has bad problems on the drive shaft end. Are there other problems i am not seeing or maybe not recognizing? Wondering if a good machine shop could build up that area and re-machine. That pinion and ring gear are sold as a set.

Return to “Tech Support”