Clunking in 4WD - what could be wrong?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Re: Clunking in 4WD - what could be wrong?

Postby agirlandhertractor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:28 pm

sega wrote:Have the same problem with my Yanmar1610D. Pinion gear is bad and to fix it I have to purchase the whole setup. Cannot believe the price they are getting to the parts.

That was my reaction when I learned the cost of that pinion. Mine is still very usable but has some wear. The price for some of these used parts is insane. It makes the thought of owning a Yanmar less viable.. and that means fewer new parts sales. Unless they can get new hard parts like this I can't see that these used/rebuild Yanmars have much of a future in the tractor markets.

mait
Volunteer Poster

Postby mait » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:50 am

agirlandhertractor wrote:Wonder if I'll be able to get the collar pulled without having to take apart the diff? I know how the collar on the back half of the drive shaft comes off now (and coulda saved myself $130 doing it myself), but the front collar looks like it is a different shape altogether.

How does the collar on the back half of the drive shaft come off? Is it possible without taking dropbox off?

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 am

Assuming you mean this part, it is loose press fitted onto the shaft. You can use a tool like this to gently work it free.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:49 am

agirlandhertractor wrote:Assuming you mean this part, it is loose press fitted onto the shaft. You can use a tool like this to gently work it free.

Haven't heard from you in awhile, do you still have your Yanmar?

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 am

winston wrote:Haven't heard from you in awhile, do you still have your Yanmar?

It's still in my shop. I use it less frequently due to the bonkers pricing on second hand critical drivetrain parts (and non availability of new replacements). It's been a good tractor, but I'm keenly aware of the pitfalls of ownership now.

PS replacing the bearings worked - it's still holding and I no longer have the popping. No way I was dropping $$$ on a pinion set that may or may not be a matched pair. lol.

Not sure what my next brand will be though.. maybe a little newer Deere or Kubota. I will upgrade a little to maybe 30hp range.

mait
Volunteer Poster

Postby mait » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:44 pm

agirlandhertractor wrote:Assuming you mean this part, it is loose press fitted onto the shaft. You can use a tool like this to gently work it free.

Thanks, this is exactly what i meant. I have my YM1702D leaking on both ends of the driveshaft. Very little though. I was wondering if i should replace the seals immediately or wait until the leaks become bad. There seems to be quite a bit of oily rust around the seals.

Thanks to you I now know which parts and tools i need. So I can order them first and repair only when i have everything ready.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm

If it were me I'd replace the seals and collars together. No time like the present.

metalmole
Volunteer Poster

Postby metalmole » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:26 pm

I understand the bad taste you have about your not being able to get new factory parts for your Yanmar...They are like every other manufacture in that after they quit making a certain model they quit making parts after a certain period , I think in the USA our government mandates 10 years a manufacture must support a model after its been discounted, after which allot of those manufactures sell all parts for the certain model to a second parts business and quit making parts for that model...that can be from washing machines to shotguns...Also better check into the older JD tractors, I know a friend who works on tractors and he said some are very hard to find parts for...On a last note that shaft would be very easy to weld up and re cut, I have re welded quite a few old car/truck/tractor parts and re machined them with great success, some involved some hand file work that turned out great, I would have had that fixed in a matter of hours....But I do understand allot of folks don't have the machines to do such repairs....

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:01 am

I stumbled across a little treasure on CL recently. Someone was selling a 1601d which had literally been broken in half from a tree falling on it. Picked up the entire front axle assembly, and the entire rear end (one piece axle, with hitch pump & arms, ect), got it all for $200. I hope I never need these spares, but I feel a LOT better knowing I have them just in case. If I ever sell this tractor the new owner will also have the spares.

So a good tip is to check your local CL listings and I suppose FB ads from time to time, you may run across a good parts tractor like I did.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:17 am

Good find! That was a bargain.

Return to “Tech Support”