Injector pump??

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Crump
Volunteer Poster

Injector pump??

Postby Crump » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 pm

was moving some topsoil today in 1610d, and suddenly had a loud "clacking" sound from the motor, similar to the normal diesel rattle but louder accompanied by black smoke from the exhaust. Engine kept running fine as I drove it into the shed and switched it off. Noise was still there when I restarted it 5 mins later and it seemed to be coming from the LHS of the block near the pump. just as suddenly the noise went away and tractor resumed normal operation for another couple of hours. Is it possible something within the pump got stuck momentarily or is it a symptom of imminent failure? Or possibly something completely different? Not much to go on I know, but appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

PaulW
Volunteer Poster

Re: Injector pump??

Postby PaulW » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:23 am

It may have been a stuck plunger or partly stuck. Maybe try putting a little 2 stroke oil in your fuel to give the pump some extra lube. Is the fuel new and uncontaminated?
Paul W YM1500 & YM14 MkII

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:45 am

The noise in mine was louder, but years later has not recurred. Aaron's explanation might apply to yours too.

"It is caused when the injector lets too much fuel pour into the engine or lets fuel that is not misted fine enough to burn into the engine. The liquid fuel is not compressable and not misted fine enough to self combust so you get a nasty hammering sound as it starts to hydrolock. It could be a lot of things but may just be that you had an injector that got stuck."

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 am

alan wrote:The noise in mine was louder, but years later has not recurred. Aaron's explanation might apply to yours too.

"It is caused when the injector lets too much fuel pour into the engine or lets fuel that is not misted fine enough to burn into the engine. The liquid fuel is not compressable and not misted fine enough to self combust so you get a nasty hammering sound as it starts to hydrolock. It could be a lot of things but may just be that you had an injector that got stuck."

I agree, put some diesel rated injector cleaner in the fuel.

Crump
Volunteer Poster

Postby Crump » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm

I did as instructed back when I posted this and the engine has been running fine ever since, done approx. 30 hours. However, yesterday the same noise suddenly occurred complete with black smoke, so I shut the engine down. When I tried to restart about half an hour later she was hydrolocked, the engine would not attempt to turn over. No horrible noises, just locked solid, so I walked away. Should I try it again, now the engine is dead cold, (would like to move it to the workshop to pull the head) or could that cause catastrophic damage. Also, am I correct in assuming an injector has failed? thanks. PS, as an afterthought, if I use the decompression whilst trying to start will that avoid any further damage?

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:12 am

Maybe OK to turn it with decompression but to be safe I'd first turn it by hand. Use Search box for posts describing how.

Return to “Tech Support”