Head gasket replacement - how to?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Re: Head gasket replacement - how to?

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Here we go!

Draining radiator coolant with the 17mm drain bolt on the left frame rail.

Air and radiator hoses removed.

Upper radiator hose looks bad.

More to come...

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Removed the alternator, bracket and belt.

The belt was extremely cracked and dryrotted. Surprised it hasn't already broken. Have a new one ready to go on when I put it back together.

Now to loosen and remove the fuel lines from the injectors. A standard 17mm open end wrench will work here, just make sure your wrench is up to the task.

The fuel lines on the muffler side need a 17mm line wrench to loosen. I don't own one so I am off to find something. I won't cheap out here, will look for S&K.

Sprayed the manifold and muffler bolts with a little Kroil and will let that sit a day or two.

jimjumper
Volunteer Poster

Postby jimjumper » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:47 pm

This is way cool to watch! I hope you put together a whole album of repair things you do as they are needed...

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:07 pm

One of the studs broke when removing the muffler (this with an overnight soak with Kroil). I have stud removers so hopefully I can get that sucker pulled and a new one installed. If it comes out "easily" I may swap all four studs for stainless steel.

Manifold came off real easy.

While on the exhaust side I started to remove the fuel lines. The 17mm flare nut wrench from sears was a bit too thick on the sides. Could have ground the tool down, but wanted to see if there was another way.

Discovered that the standard 17mm open end would work if I did the flare nuts in the right order (back, then front, then middle).

Had to slide the nuts up as I went along.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Now to remove the water pump. I hoped to get it off without removing the radiator but that was not to be. There wasn't enough clearance for a 13mm wrench on the lower right pump bolt. Maybe could have gotten it with a 12 point box end but all I had was a 6 point.

Radiator removal is simple, just four bolts for the fan shroud and four bolts for the radiator. Don't forget to unhook the drain tube on the bottom left.

I used a 2x4 to hold the fan for removing the four 10mm bolts holding it to the water pump.

The water pump fan bearing felt.... dry. It spins real easy (almost too easy) and isn't gritty but it feels like there is zero lube. I cringe at the $116 price of a new water pump, but may bite that bullet now rather than do all this over again later.

I had some silicone caps in my tubing box so I used a few of them to cap off the fuel inlets and the fuel return nipple before spraying down the messy engine.

Put on safety goggles then sprayed the engine down with brake cleaner. Not clean enough to eat from but then who would eat off of a filty motor in the first place? :mrgreen:

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:59 am

Just ordered the rest of the parts for this job (radiator hoses, new clamps, and a new water pump). To be continued... :mrgreen:

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks for the great photos.

Stainless is more rust-resistant but is not as strong.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

Good point. Maybe some new bolts with anti seize would be better. These are likely the original (40ish year old) studs.

More disassembly pics:

Be sure to remove the 13mm banjo bolt hiding along the back edge of the cylinder head:

Combustion chamber:
Last edited by agirlandhertractor on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Haven't worked on the tractor in a while, so I went out to the shop and refocused.

One of these days I need to go ahead and get a little welder. Even if it's a cheapy HF unit... I could really use one to weld a nut to this broken stud.

Painting the new water pump a nice shade of yellow

Working on getting the head & block surfaces clean. Need to read through the posts to find what is the best sealant to use and how to apply.
The pics make it look like there are a lot of ridges and leftover gasket material. I've scraped them (gently) with a razor and scrubbed with cleaner. They are smooth as can be to my bare finger.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Be sure to clean your head bolts and threads thoroughly before installing the new head gasket. Apply a little CLEAN motor oil to the bolt threads before installing into the head.

For the head gasket itself, I used the copper spray-a-gasket from Permetex to help seal any minor imperfections. The local autozone had it for a dollar less than Amazon Prime, plus i could get it right away.

Make careful when installing the head gasket that you put it the right way. It may LOOK right if sleepy or tired, but be sure the oil holes line up:

right way:

(photoshop kept crashing when trying to add actual text, so I had to draw my writing :D)

Here are the torque specs and tightening sequence:

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:10 pm

(got the cap issue worked out - more pics soon)

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm

[quote="agirlandhertractor"]Haven't worked on the tractor in a while, so I went out to the shop and refocused.

One of these days I need to go ahead and get a little welder. Even if it's a cheapy HF unit... I could really use one to weld a nut to this broken stud.

Vise-Grip pliers should get that out, no problem.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I tried with my pair, it took every bit of strength to lock the pliers. They still spun around the stud. Should be an easy fix once I get a welder here & set up.

Desert Dave
Volunteer Poster

Postby Desert Dave » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 am

Totally enjoy reading the posts of your work with the great pics and info, thanks. I've learned a lot from them and hope I never have to use even one of them :).

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 pm

agirlandhertractor wrote:I tried with my pair, it took every bit of strength to lock the pliers. They still spun around the stud. Should be an easy fix once I get a welder here & set up.

Your Vise-Grip must be worn out. It should have stripped the teeth off that stud if it slipped. I use mine with a 2' length of pipe.

Return to “Tech Support”