Head gasket replacement - how to?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Head gasket replacement - how to?

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Has anyone worked up a how-to on replacing blown head gaskets? Will the entire engine need to come out or can I just pull the top end/head and take that to get surfaced?

PS it is overheating easily now. Has a new radiator and 30% coolant 70% water mixture. Bubbles in the overflow tank when running.

EDIT - Work has begun on this project. Skip to page 2 for the "how to" pictorial.
Last edited by agirlandhertractor on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norfolktoad
Volunteer Poster

Re: Head gasket replacement - how to?

Postby norfolktoad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:04 am

Hi nice to here from you again. Yes remove the head without removing the engine from the tractor. You can check the block in the tractor and only remove if the face is distorted. I am sure Winston will come up with his usual expert advice.

Regards

Mike

Ps did the rear axle seals on my 1610 your itemised account of your repair was so helpful.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:15 am

I have not seen a "how to?" on the head gasket. No doubt you would be the one to do it. You have a talent in that area. I'm sure any questions you might have could be answered here.

Curiosity as to why your leak appeared? Did it over heat? Through several years of following these Yanmar forums and personal experience it is my belief these little engines are very sensitive to over heating and therefore the cause of most head gasket failures.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:36 am

Do a search here for "head" or "HG" for dozens of comments.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:12 am

winston wrote:I have not seen a "how to?" on the head gasket. No doubt you would be the one to do it. You have a talent in that area. I'm sure any questions you might have could be answered here.

Curiosity as to why your leak appeared? Did it over heat? Through several years of following these Yanmar forums and personal experience it is my belief these little engines are very sensitive to over heating and therefore the cause of most head gasket failures.

Yeah I think I let it get a little hot bush hogging a field a year ago, and it's never been the same since.

What parts would I need for the job? Anything I might want to replace as a wear item while I have the heads off? How about glow plugs? The tractor engine was supposedly fully rebuild by Fredricks Tractor in Alabama in 2008, it has a couple hundred more hours on it today.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:26 am

Dropping this hear for now (for a YM2000, but helps me understand the general process): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3544

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:00 am

You will need head gasket, rocker arm cover gasket, intake manifold gasket, muffler gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, water pump backplate to head gasket, water pump to backplate gasket, thermostat gasket, maybe new thermostat, oil line gasket (http://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/search/FLP-800.htm). May not need all these but you may have to place second order if you order before doing work. If you remove everything before ordering you might eliminate some of the above. Some of the gaskets are often reusable but not the head gasket.

You have a thermostart system, not glow plugs. You can test it to see if it is working. http://www.hoyetractor.com/thermostart.htm

If no excess oil consumption, blow by or smoking the head gasket will likely get you back in business.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:12 am

Can't find a thermostat in the 1601 parts listings on Hoye. Mine does have a radiator.

Here's what I have so far (my overflow bottle cap is cracked)

Shopping Basket Item Qty. Item Price Total Price

OVERFLOW TANK 1 OFT-1470 $21.95 $21.95
YANMAR TRACTOR BELT _ 1 BELT900335 $9.98 $9.98
HEAD GASKET_ 1 HG-470 $42.68 $42.68
COPPER WASHER (8mm) 3 FLP-800 $0.70 $2.10
INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET 2 121450-12710 $7.83 $15.66
GASKET - WATER PUMP BACK PLATE TO HEAD 2 WPG-4441 $1.75 $3.50
WATER PUMP TO BACK PLATE GASKET_ 2 WPG-1450 $1.50 $3.00

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:21 am

My bad, I would assume the 1601 probably doesn't have a thermostat. I don't have parts list for it. You wil need muffler gasket for sure. http://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/MG-1450.htm Maybe exhaust manifold gasket, http://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/MG-1325.htm

norfolktoad
Volunteer Poster

Postby norfolktoad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 am

You will probably need a set of Valve stem seals. The 1601 has I believe the same engine as the 1610, and there is no thermostat on my tractor. I have sent a PM with workshop manual attached for another model, but will give a guide to the order of work.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Anyone have a part number or page for the valve cover gasket? I'm not finding it in the 1601d parts listings or I am blind as a bat.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:00 pm

found the valve cover gasket, order placed now waiting on parts to get here.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:07 am

Time to dig into this job now. The tractor hasn't been used much the last couple of years mostly just light garden prep in my backyard or low stress work around the house. Took it on a lawn prep job a few weeks ago and it wanted to overheat pretty quick. Can't put it off anymore. I plan to get pictures and write up similar to the rear end seal replacement I did before.

Have some questions:

1. Will I need to replace head bolts? I noticed this was a topic of debate. Hoye wants you to buy new ones of course, but is that necessary for folks who work on these regularly?
  2. Does anyone have torque settings for the head bolts (the stages from light to tight), and torque for valve cover, intake, exhaust bolts?
  3. The "service manual" sold here was frustrating when I did my rear end seals a couple years ago. The photos are nearly black and I have no idea what parts of my tractor line up to the US model types. That said does anyone know what the US equivalent model and/or engine is for the YM1601D?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 pm

What are you planning to do to it? :?

Pretty sure the 220/226 are the closest cousins. It is my belief the head bolts on your 1610 are not the ones that require replacement.

Head bolts 29, 58, 72-79 ft lbs, cylinder head assist bolts to 22 ft lbs, rocker arm nuts 40 ft lbs. Intake manifold 18 ft lbs, rocker arm cover bolts goodntight.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Gonna replace the head gasket. Ordered all the parts 2 years ago but one thing led to another and here it sits.

PS: found an entire front end (axle, differential) from a working 1601D that had a tree fall on it. All set on that pinion shaft from the other thread now. Oh I paid $150 for the whole axle assembly vs. $1000 for just the pinion set.

Return to “Tech Support”