Slipping clutch or Powershift Yanmar 226d

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Drewman
Volunteer Poster

Slipping clutch or Powershift Yanmar 226d

Postby Drewman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:06 pm

I had posted that the hydraulics on my Yanmar 226d were moving slowing since I had a hose replacement. After a minute or so they would start moving as normal again. If it sat for even the shortest time it would happen again. I checked the fluids and operated it enough to ensure no air was in the system. Now I have noticed that either the clutch or powershift is slipping badly. I am pretty convinced it is not the clutch slipping. Is there any way to determine which for sure and if it is the powershift slipping how would I go about troubleshooting this? Do any of the hose have suction and could it be an air leak? There is a 3 spool valve that operates the attachments on this tractor. Could the valve be bypassing fluid? Just a few thoughts and questions.
Attachments
Yanmar226D.JPG
Yanmar 226D
Yanmar226D.JPG (213.06 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

alan
Volunteer Poster

Re: Slipping clutch or Powershift Yanmar 226d

Postby alan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm

Can you better describe "slipping badly"? And does the problem occur in all four gears? And does the pedal have correct freeplay?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:28 am

If your pto does not slip when under load then your power shift is slipping. If it does slip your clutch is bad.

Drewman
Volunteer Poster

Postby Drewman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:36 am

I first noticed it when I had range selector in High (there are three speeds for the range) and when I would shift into reverse it took a while until the powershift would engage. Kind of a slow engagement. Then when I select the number 2 range and would shift to reverse while dragging material with the bucket I would just get a whine and a slow engagement of the transmission. Made me curious that it did not seem to affect the forward gears. So I put the bucket into the ground and put the power shift in forward 1 with the range in 2. Normal this would kill the motor when I let the clutch out but sure enough it would slip and the wheels would not turn no even at full throttle. The clutch will disengage after about 1" travel after depressing. I have not tried an attachment on the PTO since. As I said before, something is funny about the hydraulics. Maybe be related.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:56 pm

You should have appx 5/8" freeplay on your clutch pedal. With my 5/8" freeplay my clutch has to go further than1" before disengaging.

Do you know the condition of your screw on hydraulic filter and suction screen?

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Assuming the fluid is right kind and amount, and accepting there can normally be a few seconds of delay before the PS engages, if there are any circumstances in which the clutch does engage properly, I'd look for lever slop. Remove the black rubber cover and check the connection between the horizontal control lever and the vertical shaft. If loose, the shaft could remain in N when you move the lever to 1. But if you're never getting proper engagement with any combination of range and PS speed, could be a worn clutch.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:00 pm

You still need to determine if pto is working properly. If not , main clutch slipping, if so, probably gummy relief valve or broken spring, accessable through transmission cover.

Drewman
Volunteer Poster

Postby Drewman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:06 pm

I will check all those things. I find it more than coincidental that as soon as I replaced the hydraulic line between OUT of the three spool valve for the implements I seem to have pressure problems and this issue cropped up. Since I am not wasting paper here going to throw out some thoughts. Should the line from the OUT on the spool that returns fluid to a point directly under the valve that controls the lower rate on the three point be under pressure (see images). Just learning how this all works but I find it odd that a line that should not have much pressure would rupture. I had my son replace it so I don't know if anything was different in on the hose. Could it have had some type of check valve or other fitting that did not make it back on? Could this just be lower hydraulic pressure do to a bad or incorrect setup? Sorry about all the questions just thinking out loud. In the meantime I think I will hook up the brush hog and try Winston's test on the PTO.
Attachments
FullSizeRender2.jpg
Hydraulic Return
FullSizeRender2.jpg (146.4 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
OUT Port on spool
FullSizeRender.jpg (149.23 KiB) Viewed 2530 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:30 pm

I am assuming the right hand hose was the one replaced. Nothing behind it but the middle line has a headless plug screwed into the housing behing the tube fitting. Can't think of any reason it would have been taken out and if so I think it could cause overpressuring.

Drewman
Volunteer Poster

Postby Drewman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Winston,
I tested the PTO and yes it still runs while the Powershift is slipping. So it is not the clutch.
The port labeled OUT it the hose that was replaced. I do not know what the plugged port labeled PB is. Should this be hooked up to something?
Attachments
FullSizeRender3.jpg
Full Valve Pic
FullSizeRender3.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 2521 times

Drewman
Volunteer Poster

Postby Drewman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks Norm,
Is this an easy access to the relief valve?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 am

Pages 250-10-2 and 3 in your manual show good pictures of your regulator case and relief valve. Pages 250-10-21,22 has instructions. Trouble shooting section right there also.

Drewman
Volunteer Poster

Postby Drewman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Am I correct in that the Powershift hydraulics have nothing to do with the other hydraulics on the tractor other than they use the same reservoir?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Drewman wrote:Am I correct in that the Powershift hydraulics have nothing to do with the other hydraulics on the tractor other than they use the same reservoir?

And same suction screen.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:04 pm

There's a thought. When was the screen last cleaned? Yanmar calls for every 300 hrs on the 226.

Return to “Tech Support”