YM226D transmission, hydraulics, power steering "funny"...

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Alco251
Volunteer Poster

YM226D transmission, hydraulics, power steering "funny"...

Postby Alco251 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi, everybody.
I was traveling and looked at a YM226D today, just for fun. You can never have too many, right? Not a bad looking machine overall, but it seems to have some issues with powershift and hydraulic performance. I hope some poor sucker doesn't get burned on it.

• hydraulic pump makes substantial noise (whine/howl) above idle
  • loader seems sluggish (i.e. slow)
  • loader did not easily lift front end of machine, seemed to have to "think about it awhile"
  • powershift engagement sluggish, took a second or so for it to kick into a gear and then it seemed "soft"
  • power steering seemed to get briefly "stuck" sometimes, then would come loose and move easily and smoothly
  • 3 pt lifted ok with a mower attached, but not lifting very far

I'm pretty sure the powershift tranny has its own pump, so I wouldn't think a failing main pump would affect the shifting. The main pump on this machine has a spin-on filter, which could cause the loader problems, but probably not the powershift. Do the two pumps share the same strainer? If so, I'm thinking pump cavitation due to a clogged strainer. That seems to be supported by the fact that the tranny fluid looked pretty good before start but seemed to have air entrapped after running a while. But what would be plugging a strainer on a relatively low hour machine? [Note: this is apparently NOT a VN rebuild... bought new locally with paperwork.] My 2210D had very little crud, and I suspect it's had a much harder life.

Is the power steering a factory option? I don't see parts listed on Hoye...

One other thing I wondered about... This machine has turf tires on the back and sort of ag tread tires (in what looks like a turf size--wider than R-1). The owner said the front tires were completely worn out when he got it. Does it seems possible someone mismatched sizes and damaged the powershift clutches? 13.6-16 rear and 25x8.50-14 front. Anyone know if that is a correct pairing?

Appreciate thoughtful comments. I'm not sure how interested I am in this machine with the risk of mechanical problems, but doesn't hurt to learn!
Alco 251
YM2210D w/ Koyker 110; YM220D w/ YFL-875; They seem to be multiplying!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM226D transmission, hydraulics, power steering "funny".

Postby winston » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:02 pm

The manual says for ag tires 6-14 front, 9.5-24 rear.
turf tires 4.00-15 front, 13.6-16 rear.

Yes, the powershift pump takes suction through the strainer. Clogged strainer could be the cause of all the problems listed. I would be interested in what you mean by low hours. This tractor was sold here 1981 through 1991. Newest one around would be over 20 years old.

Does it have cylinder assist power steering or steering gearbox power steering? My 2002d has the gearbox power steering so just curious if that 226 is the same. The 220/226 manual is the closest American cousin to my ym2002d.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 pm

They didn't come with PS because it wasn't needed without an FEL, which were rather rare back then. Yanmar offered a "YPS226" add-on kit for it, and there's at least one generic add-on for it, but neither was trouble-free. As I recall, the factory one has a placard on the cylinder.

There's only the one hyd reservoir and pump. A few seconds PowerShift delay is normal, especially in the cold, but the noise is not. Might need a clutch adjustment, if not replacement (which requires splitting). Or could be wrong fluid and/or clogged internal filter. The external spin-on is pretty bullet-proof. A failing pump could explain the hitch not fully lifting.

It's not a rebuild; this was an export model, and manuals were and likely still are available, as are most parts.

If it wore out the original tires that's not a good sign, and if the mismatched replacements were used in 4WD, that's worse. (The few that I've seen came with Bridgestone turfs.) The hour-meter is for servicing, not for tracking cumulative hours because it goes to 999.9 and starts over.

If cheap enough you could look at fixing it or part it out.
Last edited by alan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 am

It could have all or none of the above mentioned problems, could be as simple as changing fluid and cleaning screen. One would have to wonder why the owner does not fix it. Low hour tractors do not wear out tires. If not a really low price, RUN.

Alco251
Volunteer Poster

Postby Alco251 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:18 am

Not sure what happened to my earlier reply... Looks like that tractor is sold, but I will comment for future information.

It had a "hydraulic cylinder" type power steering. I guess this is aftermarket, as some of the hydraulic piping looked a bit hacked. I will try to attach a picture.

Why the owner did not address the hydraulics issues, I do not know, especially as he seemed to fancy himself a mechanic (he had a Subaru apart for head gasket issues in his shop). I see a lot of people anymore who seem pretty clueless about basic things... Not that I am a mechanical genuis, but I'll give ya "fer zamples":

• The top of the engine in this tractor was covered with oil. Upon exam, the hose to the thermostart reservoir is cracked at the barb. When the engine runs, diesel blows out onto the valve cover. Duh. Could you cut off the end of hose and re-clamp?
  • The spring on the brake latch was missing. So the brake latch constantly wants to grab the pedal when you press the brakes. You have to manually release the brake latch each time you use the brakes. Have ya ever heard of a wire tie???
  • When the loader control was moved, fluid squirted from the back of the valve cluster. I imagine this is a couple o-rings. Not too hard to fix!
  • In "two years" of ownership, he had not changed filters or serviced fluids, per his statement.

So maybe it's best that this machine go to someone else, as who knows what other indignities it suffered while with this guy.
Attachments
IMG_0056.JPG
Power steering on YM226D. Probably aftermarket?
IMG_0056.JPG (51.8 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
Alco 251
YM2210D w/ Koyker 110; YM220D w/ YFL-875; They seem to be multiplying!

Carey
Volunteer Poster

Postby Carey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 am

The Subaru is Prob. his personal Veh. that was Run Hot from lack of Maint. :lol: IMO. if it's Mech. it's repairable! may not be cost effective but usually can be done. Asking Price?

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 pm

The photo looks like one of the after-market ones, not Yanmar's.

Than
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM226D transmission, hydraulics, power steering "funny"...

Postby Than » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Just for future record. on the 226d all fluid goes threw both filters, if you fallow the
metal line from the screen filter it goes right to the screw on filter. the powershift
gets it oil from inside while the fluid is being circulated threw the filters.

Return to “Tech Support”