Front Tire Flats FX26-D

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

ChrisLPD
Volunteer Poster

Front Tire Flats FX26-D

Postby ChrisLPD » Wed May 23, 2012 7:08 am

Help with front wheels/tires….

Hello everyone, I am a 20-year Law Enforcement Officer from South-Georgia and in fear of sounding like a complete goof I want to put out here that I know very, very little about tractors. My partner and I are going thru some form of a mid-life crisis and we got into racing amateur motocross in the 40-Plus age bracket. We have a small club of guys who we ride with, mostly Law Enforcement and Firefighters, and we all had this crazy idea to rent a whole bunch of heavy equipment and build our own track. After a whole lot of headache and help from other local racers, we got the track to completion. After we broke the bank with the rental fees, fuel fees, delivery and pick-up fees, and all the surcharge fees (not to mention the backhoe we tore up), it was obvious that we needed to get our own small tractor to do the maintenance and eventually put in irrigation. We started looking for a small tractor with a front bucket to do the up-keep and I about choked when I looked at the price stickers in the local Kubota and John Deere dealerships. I wound up finding a guy who sold Yanmar tractors out of the corner of a used car lot for Wayyyyy less than the orange or green tractors. After some negotiating, we wound up leaving with a FX26-D 4WD Auto-Shift tractor with a V-3 loader, a Hard-Top canopy, and a warranty for less than 10-grand.

I have been relatively pleased with its performance considering it only being a 26-HP tractor, and having never owned a tractor bigger than a lawnmower before, I have found that I like playing in the dirt on the tractor almost as much as I do the bike! I am now at the 24 hour mark of digging and moving Georgia Clay around our little ¾ mile track, and the only issue we are having is the front tires. Hauling a full bucket of red Georgia Clay around anything even close to a sharp turn and these skinny little irrigation pivot tires give up! I have now replaced two (2) tubes and it is apparent that the 7X16 skinny front tires were not designed for the combined weight of the tractor, loader, and V-3 load capacity of nearly 6000 pounds. I am looking to upgrade my front tires to heavier and/or wider tires on a wider rim. I have looked at the wider Turf-Tire packages but they are nearly 2-grand for the FX series tractors and for what we are using the tractor for, I would prefer to stay with the deep-lug tires in the rear for digging traction. I do know that whatever tire I get needs to be the same outside rolling diameter as stock for use in 4-WD mode but we have no idea where to even start. Our owner’s manual shows the OEM wheels as follows: Rear: 12.4X24 Deep-Lug, Front: 7X16 Deep-Lug but it says nothing about the bolt pattern measurements. Can anyone tell me if used front wheels off of a different brand tractor will fit or what the bolt pattern is, and possibly what type, size, or Ply front tires we should look for?

Thanks very much in advance!

Carey
Volunteer Poster

Re: Front Tire Flats FX26-D

Postby Carey » Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 am

I'm in Ga Chris if you haven't yet talk to steve at Spalding Tractor in Hampton now. Use to be in Griffen right across from the track. He'll prob have or can get ANYTHING for it you may need. He had a full parts tractor on CL. all intact he's willing to part out just recently. I would give him a call. IMO He's a great guy to deal with :wink:

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed May 23, 2012 12:01 pm

I would not get all crazy with changing wheels, etc. Just assure that you have 8 ply tires, such as the "7-50 16, 8 ply R1" now offered on Ebay by Tucker Tire. Should be 2000-2500 lb load capacity. can't get [url] to work for some reason.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Wed May 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Try mounting a heavy implement on the rear hitch (preferably one that hangs back) and inflating the fronts to 35-40 lbs. If still problematic, have a farm tire shop put liquid ballast in the tubes.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed May 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Specifically, what is happening to your tires. "That they "give up" is not much help.

ChrisLPD
Volunteer Poster

Postby ChrisLPD » Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 pm

Norm, by "Giving Up" I meant that the tires are going flat under the excess weight when turning sharply in the tight areas I'm having to get the tractor into with the loader. I looked up some Yanmar Curb Weights and tire sizes. The FX26-D base weight of the tractor empty with V3 loder installed is 4,500 pounds..with an additional 1,500 pounds loader rating. If I'm not mistaken Alan, we pumped the presure up to at or near 35 pounds after the first flat and shredded tube and that's an idea we already had on the rear mount impliment behind the rear axle to act as a counter-Teeter to the front end. Only problem there again is the confined spaces I am having to get into trying to use the bucket repairing the tight sections of our track that get rutted and worn the most. I kept hitting turns with the Box-Blade when I would back up and doing more damage than I fixed! It's actually so tight in some areas that the girth of the FX26-D might not have been the best choice in small tractor. I thank all of you for the help... I have done some searching on-line and what I would really like to do is find a front rim/tire set-up that is wider and maybe not as aggressive. The same afternoon I wrote the first post, I towed the tractor to my dad's house to use the mower around his property and although it's not an issue on the dirt track, the skinny little front grip tires chewed up the Grass pretty bad. I guess what I am looking for now, given everything I intend to use this tractor for, is a set-up that keeps the Cheveron Deep Tread grip tires on the back and a wider "Turf" or industrial type tire on the front. I looked at a set of front turf tires and wide wheels from Hoye Tractor Supply and gave them a call about buying only the front wheels and tires, only prob is that the turf tires and wheels they offer are wrong ratio for the stock rear tires and wheels in four wheel drive. It is requird that you get the whole matched set of turfs to keep the correct ratio on 4x4 tractors. Problem there is the $1,800.00 price tag and loss of ground clearance. After giving this all some thought I am going to measure my skinny stock front tires' height and rolling diameter and look for a wider 6-8 ply turf or industrial tire with matching numbers. Then when I find the right size and rating tire, I'll look for a compatable rim for it's size and bolt pattern. Meanwile...I'll take the advise and just jack up the pessure to 40-PSI. Does anyone know what the 6-lug pattern is for the FX-Series front wheels for a FX26-D???

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sat May 26, 2012 7:52 am

So you have "paddy" tires. Especially back then, FELs were rare in Japan, so take it easy on the steering and front-end components. Maybe more trips with lighter loads?

I doubt another few pounds will solve the problem. As for replacing the air with liquid, I'd guess it would work but you could check with a farm-tire shop.

Your best bet might be to exchange it for a shorter, narrower model that was designed to carry loads.

There's another option. You CAN mismatch the F/R circumferences IF you never put it in 4 except when there's slippage. So you could get a set of heftier fronts for the loader work. And with the FEL, it's easy to switch back to the originals, which you could do when you need 4WD.

ChrisLPD
Volunteer Poster

Postby ChrisLPD » Tue May 29, 2012 12:08 am

Your absolutely right about the FEL Alan, it was put on here in the US after the Re-Furb process. I have been calling everyone about my tire delima to make the right purchase without risking damage to the 4WD. After having done some research and discovering the difference between R-1, R-2, R-3, and R-4 tires... I think that the R-4 Industrial type tires. I followed the directions from another post and measured the front-to-back Mechanical ratio of the FX26-D. If I did the math right it is somewhere at 1/1.612. I need front tires in the 86" approximate Rolling Diameter range to stay within the correct Over-Run percentage. I am looking at two sets of R-4's online now. They are sized 27-8.50-15 and 28-8.50-15 and both sets already mounted on 6-bolt 15" Rims.

Does anyone know the 6-lug front bolt pattern for an FX tractor or the rolling circumference of either of these two tires???

Thanks Again!

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Tue May 29, 2012 2:09 pm

measure them

Geneallen
Volunteer Poster

Postby Geneallen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm

I know this is an old subject on tires but I was having the same trouble and did some research found out the 16.5 that skid steer tire where the same diameter so I purchased some H1 hummer double bead locks and mounted the skid steers on the H1 and cut out my rims and cut out the H1 and weld my yanmar center to the H1 no more pinch flats and I have the industrial lugs higher load capacity and never have to worry about it again. I also when my rear tires wear out i will do the same but with 5ton mil rims and 46 tires.

Geneallen
Volunteer Poster

Postby Geneallen » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am

Tried to load pics but I guess they are to big of a file still at 1.5mb

Return to “Tech Support”