Fixing PTO

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Bulldog
Volunteer Poster

Fixing PTO

Postby Bulldog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Noticed my PTO spline was wobbly and leaking some (although working) so took it off and here is what I got - see pictures. Maybe it's happened over years of wear or maybe from a pto shaft bind.

-Metal inside the top hole is rough. Don't know if this is acceptable - if not the whole housing would have to be replaced - not good. If worse case is it just leaks a little I can live with that.
-PTO Cover - The needle bearing on top has 2 missing, found 1. I think the bottom is a seal and there's a seal collar that goes into it.
-Outside of this bearing is cracked.

pto1.jpg
pto1.jpg (247.42 KiB) Viewed 2404 times

-The top broken ring is apparently the seal collar - hmmm, where's the rest of it? Am I gonna have to go fishing? Ring on left is an o-ring I guess, looks ok. The bottom ring is a thrust washer (I think). And there's that needle bearing I found.
-That washer behind that bearing and against gear maybe a little rough. That bearing doesn't wanna come off just pulling on it so I stopped for now.
-Washer spacer & snap ring

pto2.jpg
pto2.jpg (237.49 KiB) Viewed 2404 times

What would you do?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Fixing PTO

Postby winston » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 pm

what model tractor is this?

A question or two before saying what I would do. The bearing that goes inside the rough housing. How does it fit in that housing? Tight? Loose? Does the bearing that goes in there have an external snap ring on it?

Bulldog
Volunteer Poster

Postby Bulldog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 pm

YM1500D (green)
The half of the seal collar I have fits in the rough housing tight. Think that broken thrust washer goes around that collar. I'll have to get a new collar to see how it fits in and how the bearing on back of spline fits into that. That snap ring in picture was on that same bearing that I can't remove.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:22 am

What does the bearing on the lower shaft (still in transmission housing) feel like? Tight? Roll freely? Snap ring still on it? If OK, based on what I see and a good fit at the housing where the snap ring bearing goes in (ref 55) I would order new bearings, pto seal collar, seal and put things back together. A manual might be a good investment. I really can not see that housing that plainly but looks like the snap ring probably came off that upper bearing allowing the gear to chew into the housing a little. Everything (spacers, bearings, gears, etc.) on that shaft is designed so when put together there will be minimal end play. "If" the housing where the snap ring hits it is not excessively worn everything should be OK. http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant ... 0TRANSGEAR

I would make a big effort to retrieve all loose scrap metal.

Skip
Volunteer Poster

Postby Skip » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 pm

I did that same job on my YM1500 a couple years ago. I though it was gonna be expensive but it wasn't. Take your time removing the broken bearing pieces using whatever means you have to drive or pull the peices apart. look at the parts drawings real good and order the bearings, seals, and collars to replace each one on the pto shaft. get a new cover gasket too. get snap ring tools and a pick comes in handy. I used a large socket and a hickory dowell to hammer against. dont hammer on the pto shaft. it might swell or take other damage.

Bulldog
Volunteer Poster

Postby Bulldog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 am

I got it fixed last week. I replaced the bearings, washers, seal & snap ring. The seal wear collar was ok so i left it alone and stuck the new one i ordered in a drawer. I drained all the fluid out and think I recovered all the metal with a telescopic magnet. I rented a bearing puller from Advanced which is free if you take it back in 30 days.
Next job will be to split tractor and replace clutch - seems to be slipping on me when running tiller even after adjusting clutch rod.

Skip
Volunteer Poster

Postby Skip » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Glad you got it fixed. My bearing carrier cover was scarred badly on the inside also but the new bearing fit almost as tight as it did before. I use the over run coupler on mine all the time which makes the pto shaft twice as long as without it. I think the extra length gives way for a lot of leverage to be put on the pto shaft and those bearings if you happen to get in a bind by lifting a mower or tiller too high. I used some 3\8" steel plate and welded up a pillow block bearing carrier so that the over run clutch also has additional support. Now I have three bearings spaced along the total length of my pto shaft including the over run coupler. The bearing carrier I welded up is bolted into the transmission housing on both sides by the six threaded mounting holes provided. Those mounting holes look like they were intended to mount some sort of an implement or the support brackets for one so I figure it provides plenty of strength for a bearing carrier mount. I painted it to match and it looks like it could have come from the factory that way. If I have to service the pto cover or shaft bearings ever again, all I have to do is remove those six bolts and the whole assembly slides off the over run coupler exposing the original cover. Mine had a busted pto cover shaft bearing when I bought it and I replaced it and busted it right away when I lifted the tiller too high with that short shaft causing too much of a bind. The second time I replaced it was when I built the bearing carrier housing and everything has held together very well this way. I sold the tiller though and now I dont use anything hooked up real close to the tractor with a really short shaft to cause any kind of a bind.

alderway
Volunteer Poster

Postby alderway » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Hey Skip, how about some pics of your setup. I just did the bearing replace on my 1500 for the same problem(clutch adds too much leverage). Would like to see how you fixed it. (I'm a 'visual learner'). Thanks :?
Al
"It was love at first hammer"

warburtonplayer
Volunteer Poster

Postby warburtonplayer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 pm

I need to replace the seal on my 1500, when you pulled the cover off the tractor how did you get the shaft out of the cover? Is it pressed in the cover or is it the seal that holds it in?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:04 pm

The outer diameter of your bearing is 72mm. The outer diameter of your seal is 58mm so the bearing will not come out the front of the housing. It must come out the rear. The parts drawing does not show a snap ring holding it in but I would look closely anyway. Just seems to me there ought to be an external ring. Not saying there is, just my opinion. :mrgreen:

warburtonplayer
Volunteer Poster

Postby warburtonplayer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Ok I hope the PTO shaft will come out without having to push it out with a press.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 pm

The bearing has to come off the rear of the shaft as the internal diameter is 30mm. Shaft, bearing and all should come out the rear of the housing. Just make sure no snap ring is holding the bearing in the housing.

warburtonplayer
Volunteer Poster

Postby warburtonplayer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Ok thanks for the help.

Return to “Tech Support”