155 D Clutch not engaging

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

kwfannin
Volunteer Poster

155 D Clutch not engaging

Postby kwfannin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I just replaced clutch,pp and tob on tractor. The clutch will not disengage. I split it again but could not find anything that appeared wrong. Back together again ,still same. Adjusted clutch from one end of rod to the other. No difference. Split it again ! All parts replaced looked like old except pp. Put old one back in, back together again. Same problem ! Talked to a couple of tractor people (one pro JD mec, other country farmer) both said I need to adjust "fingers" on pp. Does this sound right ? If so how is it done ? Had some wear on bearing carriage(?) in side were forks ride. Used one cost $155. Can this be built up (welded) and refinished? Going to split it one more time. I'm getting good at it but would love this to be last time. Any help or suggestions would be wecome.
Thanks,
Kevin

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Re: 155 D Clutch not engaging

Postby Norm » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:37 pm

I have never heard of any adjustment on pressure plate fingers. Why did you replace the clutch in the first place? Possibly a sheared pin. I assume you have excess play in the pedal. If excess wear in carrier, nothing to do but replace, but that's why you have adjustment.

kwfannin
Volunteer Poster

Postby kwfannin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Norm wrote:I have never heard of any adjustment on pressure plate fingers. Why did you replace the clutch in the first place? Possibly a sheared pin. I assume you have excess play in the pedal. If excess wear in carrier, nothing to do but replace, but that's why you have adjustment.

Replaced clutch and pressure plate because of bad TO bearing. I did have a machinist tell me as long as it wasn't "cast" he could rework the carrier. Yes, lots of play in pedal, Never heard of P Plate adjustment either but then again I've never put a clutch in a tractor before. Lots of cars when I was younger though. A sheared pin where, in the pedal assembly?

PaulW
Volunteer Poster

Postby PaulW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:17 am

did you put the clutch plate in the right way around?
Paul W YM1500 & YM14 MkII

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:54 am

Yours is an export model, so its factory Service Manual (in English) is available if you don't have it.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 am

Paul W wrote:did you put the clutch plate in the right way around?

I believe this is what Paul is referring too. http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant ... =155CLUTCH

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 am

You have to check everything in the chain of parts. I do have to wonder why you would adjust the clutch "from one end of rod to the other." Do you know how it works?

kwfannin
Volunteer Poster

Postby kwfannin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:59 pm

winston wrote:
Paul W wrote:did you put the clutch plate in the right way around?

I believe this is what Paul is referring too. http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant ... =155CLUTCH

Yeah, Clutch is in the right way. Sure of that. I do have a manual. I guess I have to order that carriage And look at clutch fork and make sure it doesn"t Have to much wear for a 30+ year old tractor. The clutch pedal doesn't have ressistance (very little), that's why I was trying to adjust it. Guys, I was trying to save some money,kids in college,wife who looks at me stranger everytime I tell her I need to order parts and says "It cost how much ?" It 's making more sense to me now that I've had some time to process it. Report back later and probably some more ?'s.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:00 pm

We have seen that once before. Apparently some of the very first few of those models had a different pressure plate and a shorter throw out bearing carrier. I can't get that style pressure plate anymore. I remember another customer having that problem and he said that he just put a spacer washer behind the throw out bearing (between the bearing & carrier) and it worked great. The other option is to use the longer throw out bearing carrier or reuse your old PP if it is in good shape.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:40 pm

The old pp was re-tried. I'm still wondering what the original problem was. "Bad throwout bearing" is no help, or a new one would have fixed the problem. Was the clutch failing to disengage? Noisy? No drive?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:52 pm

The old pp was re-tried

Oops. I missed that.

kwfannin
Volunteer Poster

Postby kwfannin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Norm wrote:The old pp was re-tried. I'm still wondering what the original problem was. "Bad throwout bearing" is no help, or a new one would have fixed the problem. Was the clutch failing to disengage? Noisy? No drive?

When I first got tractor drive train worked fine except some noise from TOB. The drive began to diminish where toward the end it would only pull in low range "slowly". Thats actually where all the replacement starts. Thanks for the good questions, that helps. The original "tear it apart" problem was no drive. The clutch lost tension at that time also which continues to be a problem. The spring pulls pedal back easily but unfortunately it also goes down easily.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

kwfannin wrote:
Norm wrote:The old pp was re-tried. I'm still wondering what the original problem was. "Bad throwout bearing" is no help, or a new one would have fixed the problem. Was the clutch failing to disengage? Noisy? No drive?

When I first got tractor drive train worked fine except some noise from TOB. The drive began to diminish where toward the end it would only pull in low range "slowly". Thats actually where all the replacement starts. Thanks for the good questions, that helps. The original "tear it apart" problem was no drive. The clutch lost tension at that time also which continues to be a problem. The spring pulls pedal back easily but unfortunately it also goes down easily.

What you describe sounds like you just had an adjustment problem, no free play in the pedal. Are you sure you are getting the yoke properly engaged with the carrier? Sounds like the bearing is not even contacting the pp fingers or you would be getting resistance when you depress the pedal. either that or sheared pin(s).

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Could it be that the old throw out bearing chewed up the old pressure plate fingers?

Edit: Oooo I like Norm's sheared pin on the release fork idea too :D Ive seen that before too.

kwfannin
Volunteer Poster

Postby kwfannin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Norm wrote:
kwfannin wrote:

What you describe sounds like you just had an adjustment problem, no free play in the pedal. Are you sure you are getting the yoke properly engaged with the carrier? Sounds like the bearing is not even contacting the pp fingers or you would be getting resistance when you depress the pedal. either that or sheared pin(s).

Thanks Norm and Aaron, I think your right in the no pp contact. The fork and carrier moved when I reinstalled them BUT I did not check them under resistance. Hopefully it something as simple as the pin. I'm going to split it again Friday and will let you know. I might even have a few more questions. Thanks again.
Kevin

Return to “Tech Support”