Differential Pedal, YM2000

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Ken yn2000
Volunteer Poster

Differential Pedal, YM2000

Postby Ken yn2000 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:46 am

I have something broken internally. The pedal is loose or not connected to anything. The roll pin that can be seen on the outside of the shaft is intact. I think I may have sheared a pin on the inside or something worse. In the service manual (p65) it shows a "special tool being used. Can someone tell me what this is used for? Can repairs like this be performed "in tractor" very easy? Any suggestions or warnings as what to look for when I start taking bolts out would greatly be appreciated.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Differential Pedal, YM2000

Postby winston » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Am I correct in thinking your differential lock is not engaged when your pedal is down? I don't have a 2000 manual so don't know what tool you are talking about. Could be your spring is broken or the internal rolls pins are sheared. Any thing unusual happen when this started. I believe to access this you will have to remove the pto assembly. http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant ... 00TRANSINT

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:53 pm

It can be a bit of work, so if you use the lock rarely and it's not engaged now, you could forget it. The only possible concern, I think a remote one, is a broken bit loose in the system.

Ken yn2000
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ken yn2000 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Winston, I was pulling a bucket load of mud out of a pond when one wheel started to spin, I stopped, put my heel on the lock and it went to the floor. It can be raised by hand, moved up and down and feels disconnected. As Alan suggested, I'm concerned about loose metal in the system doing more damage.

Carey
Volunteer Poster

Postby Carey » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:39 pm

My Bet the Pin to the Shifter Fork. If the Fork itself broke it would of most likely have taken alot pressure for it to break. 6 bolts and lift up the 3point and you should be able to easily access it.

Ken yn2000
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ken yn2000 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:49 pm

I removed the top of the PTO assembly, and assumed the roll pin was sheared at the fork. it was gone. I used a long flexable magnet and fished for pieces of the pin with no luck, I found a lot of normal filings of metal, I blew air into the case, hoping to dislodge any big pieces, I poured about two quarts of transmission fluid over the gears hoping to wash something out, found nothing. My brother walked in, picked up the magnet and pulled the whole pin, still intact, with the inner spring pin still inside out in about 20 seconds. I dont know how many years it has been in stalled but it had slipped out in one piece, the new pins had to be driven in and seems tight. I would not have thought this could happen, but it did.

mmckenz
Volunteer Poster

Postby mmckenz » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:50 pm

I am having similar issues with my diff lock pedal. I'm assuming I'll need to remove the PTO assembly and see what's going on in there but am hoping to get some clarification on the pedal action first. The pedal is loose with no resistance when pushing down but does feel like it's engaging if I pull up on it. I hooked the rear end up with a chain to a tree, put it in 1st gear low range, and it certainly appeared that I was able to get both wheels to spin when pulling up on the diff lock lever as opposed to only one being driven without the lever up. I have only seen one person out there referencing pulling up on the lever to engage. Any thoughts on this action? I haven't looked at the mechanism internally before so I can't picture how it engages. Thanks.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Unless someone has installed something wrong it should only engage when pushed down. Could it just be stuck in the engaged position or does it actually disengage when you press the pedal down? You can tell for sure by jacking up the rear axle and putting it in gear with the engine off.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/2000TRANSINT.htm

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:09 pm

Here is a picture of an FX24D. Different than yours but works the same. Seeing it in the transmission might help you understand it.
Attachments
100_6454.JPG
100_6454.JPG (247.75 KiB) Viewed 4259 times

mmckenz
Volunteer Poster

Postby mmckenz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm

That's a good call Aaron, I will jack the rear end up and check engagement manually. I'm curious to see how that feels though I'm still anticipating opening it up to look at the difflock mechanism for myself since something odd is definitely happening.

I've looked at that parts breakdown on the Hoye site before but winston's photo helped fill in the blanks of the actual mechanism for me. I was missing the cam effect that roll pin has on the fork in particular.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

mmckenz
Volunteer Poster

Postby mmckenz » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:11 pm

I did end up removing the 3-point unit to look inside the transmission and also jacked it up to get a better feel for the difflock engagement. It does engage but I'm also wondering if the posts on the collar may be worn or rounded a bit? I can't get a good look at the inside of the differential from the top to see the posts on the collar and ring carrier gear channels. If I can find a little telescoping mirror I might be able to catch a glimpse.

Interestingly, it definitely engages on pulling up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElticTRHAFo and the mechanism looks good to me, aside from a very worn fork. I am confused by the fact that others with YM2000s use the pedal in a standard, "pedal like" way to engage. Am I missing something or is this specific to the green/gray-market YM2000s?

DSCN0577 (1).JPG
DSCN0577 (1).JPG (189.97 KiB) Viewed 3892 times

DSCN0575.JPG
DSCN0575.JPG (240.03 KiB) Viewed 3892 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:40 am

The way the fork is designed I believe it would engage whether pulled up or pushed down but meant to be pushed down. I cannot tell anything for sure about your picture but looking at the picture I cannot see the lower cam on the fork. Is it possibly broken or worn off? If so it the fork would not be engaging the roll pin when you push down. It would be worn where the red arrow is and on the other side it would be the down side. Make any sense?

fork.jpg
fork.jpg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 3865 times

mmckenz
Volunteer Poster

Postby mmckenz » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:00 pm

I think wear in those areas, though severe, could cause the same effect. However I realized since a portion of the radiused arm is broken off, there is not enough material left on the upper portion of the fork to hold the arm against the collar when pushing down. There is still enough of the arm to engage when pulling up. Luckily found a used one in good shape at a bargain price that I hope to swap out and improve the issue.

mmckenz
Volunteer Poster

Postby mmckenz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:50 pm

For reference. After replacing the fork,the difflock pedal works as to be expected both being depressed and pulled up.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (205.77 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Return to “Tech Support”