Removing brake drum???

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Mr. Bitz
Volunteer Poster

Removing brake drum???

Postby Mr. Bitz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm replacing pinion gears and shafts on a 1610d tractor. I know I need to pull out the brake drum and am totally not able to. I don't know what to do. Is there an easy way to do this. The drum is rusted on pretty tight and there is no way to get it off just by prying. I even went as far as trying to pull the whole axle casing off and I can't even get that off. It comes off only about 1" to 1 1/2" and that is as far as it comes. I'm thinking the drum is holding it on but I can't seem to see where it would be holding it on and according to the parts book it looks like it should just pop off over the drum but it does not. Is there some sort of puller to use on the drum?? Any info would be great.. I'm stuck and don't know what to do.. :evil:

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Removing brake drum???

Postby winston » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:46 am

Knowing you have removed the external snap ring here is a picture of your brake drum. http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant ... =1610BRAKE Nothing to hold it but years of corrosion. Have you drenched it good with a free all type lubricant? Have you give it some good sharp whacks trying to break the rust loose? Is there room between the back of the drum and housing for a small gear puller such as these to catch on? Talking about going through the 3 holes in the drum. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-th ... 40965.html What about a couple of bars like this through the 3 holes? http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-so ... 31383.html

Mr. Bitz
Volunteer Poster

Postby Mr. Bitz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks so much for your info. I've sprayed it down with lubricant many times and have done some several wacks on it, but can't really get in there to wack it real good. I might go and pick up one of those jaw pullers and try that, maybe with a little extra force and some heat it'll come off.. Thanks. I will keep the results posted...

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:51 am

Simultaneously,
-apply freezing spray (or dry ice if you can get some and know how to handle it) to the drum
-heat to the housing
-whacking the housing
-air-hammer to the drum
-pulling the drum with whatever you can attach to it
-swearing in Japanese

Mr. Bitz
Volunteer Poster

Postby Mr. Bitz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Got it, Alot of swear words in Japan, at least I think that's what it sounded like. But I got it. So, got that apart pulled the shaft out replaced the inner cage with used gears, reinstalling shaft and have the 3 shims reinstalled and when i tighten up the bolts I am unable to turn the axle. It is solid, I then loosen up the bolts and it then turns again. Do I need to ad shims to this?? For one thing these shims are not to be found. They don't exist and hoye does not have them. NOW WHAT, can a guy put washers in place of the shims to get the right distance? Since I took this tractor on I've been fighting with it throughout the whole job. Any ideas?? Thanks..

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 pm

What material, size, and thickness are are the original shims? Any pictures?

Mr. Bitz
Volunteer Poster

Postby Mr. Bitz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:04 pm

No pics!! I talked with a few people and they said to go ahead and shim it up with washers until it turns freely.. So purchased some washers from a local hardware store and going to see what happens tomorrow.. I'll let you know..

Mr. Bitz
Volunteer Poster

Postby Mr. Bitz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Got the shims back in along with some thin washers .032" thickness and we are good to go. Got the axle back in only thing I'm waiting on now is some gaskets. They should be in tomorrow. Everything went together very well, just time consuming and I want to make sure it's done right. Gotta put reinstall the PTO assembly and Right fender, trans/hyd. fluid and this project is finished. Should work like a champ...

kludgemechanic
Volunteer Poster

Postby kludgemechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am

Mr. Bitz,

I know that this is an old post, and I hope you are still subscribing to this thread. I am needing to pull one of the brake drums to take to a shop so that they can reline the brake shoes for me. They need the drum to see how much material to put onto the shoes. When you pull the brake drum, does the hydraulic fluid leak out from behind the shoe? I just changed my tractor fluid and wanted to make sure that all 4 gals of fluid wasn’t going to come out.... I’m working on my YM1900. I think yours is similar. Thanks.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 am

No, removing the drum will not cause oil to leak out. The oil seal is behind the drum.

Return to “Tech Support”