Yanmar Tractor Support Message Board

Welcome to the Hoye Tractor technical support forum.

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 pm 
I have a 54 inch snowblower implement that connects to the rear PTO of a YM 1610D. I removed the implement shaft to help with replacing the shear pin, but the push/release/lock pin on the universal joint where it attaches to the tractor PTO is stuck inside the joint. I have used WD-40, pliers, and tapped with hammer to try to loosen, with no success. Without release of the spring on the latching pin, I can not engage the implement with the PTO.
Any tricks to free the release pin, or can/should I find a replacement part for the universal joint....with some luck on the weather front, I may not need it again til next fall.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm 
Volunteer Poster

Is this it? there is a removed pin also at the top of the Pic. :wink:

Attachments:
Picture%20002[1] (Medium).jpg
Picture%20002[1] (Medium).jpg [ 82.91 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 pm 
Volunteer Poster

Not exactly sure of the situation: correct if this is wrong.

On the shaft that connects the tractor's PTO output to the implement's receiver, each female end locks via a sliding pin that, when released, rests in a groove on the male part. You have both ends of the shaft free but one of the pins is jammed in the lock position so you can't open it to get it back on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:02 am 
Volunteer Poster

Don't know just which setup you have but you should have a cotter pin, snap ring or something retaining the pin in the coupling. You should be able to remove the retainer, use a rubber faced hammer if possible to drive the pin out of the coupling. Clean things up and good to go. Sounds easy, doesn't it? 8) http://www.bareco.com.au/files/pto2002/pto7.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:42 pm 
Thanks for the prompt replies! Alan correctly describes, in more technical terms, my pin problem---its locked up and will not go back on the shaft properly.

The pin is stuck in the joint with very little of the pin showing. When I removed before, it was self release/lock by spring, and I did not have to remove a cotter pin or ring.

Other ideas to free it up?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:04 pm 
Volunteer Poster

If the pin goes all the way through the joint as I think it does you need to drive it on through enough to remove the snap ring, pin or whatever, then drive it back out the oppisite direction and clean pin and hole up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 pm 
Volunteer Poster

Ya, I'd hammer a drift on one end, then the other. Haven't heard of it but probably hung on a little spur or spring-end.

If it had to jam, better it did so while it was off. And if it gets wrecked, well, the present alternative is to replace it anyway, and they're not all that costly.