2TR16 Head on 2TR17 Engine?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

UKRick
Volunteer Poster

2TR16 Head on 2TR17 Engine?

Postby UKRick » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 am

Hello everyone!
My first post on here having recently bought a YM1700 tractor which I am very pleased with.
The tractor runs very well, in fact I'm surprised what good condition it is in for its age.
There is a slight water leak from the engine and whilst having a good look around for the source of it I came across '2TR16' cast into the top of the cylinder head. However, the engine is definitely a 2TR17 as the plate with all the details is still atached on the left hand side. My question is does it matter that the head appears to have been changed for one from a lesser powered engine? I can't help thinking that there must be sufficient differences between a 2TR16 head and a 2TR17 head to have made it necessary to make two different heads in the first place, rather than just sharing one which would have been much cheaper I guess.
Despite the different head, the engine does seem to run very well, although I suspect that it has been badly overheated in the past which is presumably why the head was changed.
I eventually found that the leak is coming from the square metal plate on the rear of the cylinder head and I plan to remove it, make a new gasket and re-seal it to hopefully stop the leak. Any advice on sealing this?
I'm very impressed with this website and it has already been very helpful in explaining the cooling system and I now know to make sure that the antifreeze mix is not too strong - thanks!
No doubt more questions in the coming weeks.
Thanks for any advice!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 2TR16 Head on 2TR17 Engine?

Postby Aaron » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:53 am

The heads are exactly the same (except for the 2tr16 on it). Yanmar is notorious for putting heads with different engine model numbers cast into them on tractors right from the factory. Sometimes they even put heads with Deere engine model numbers on them. Does not make sense to me either.

The back plate would be best sealed with gasket material. You can get a roll at any auto parts store and cut that one out pretty easy. Or we have it here--

http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant ... YM1600HEAD

You CAN use silicone but I dont usually recommend it on anything that will be under pressure.

UKRick
Volunteer Poster

Postby UKRick » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:14 am

Thanks very much Aaron, very helpful. That's put my mind at rest about the possibility of the wrong head.

JALinker
Volunteer Poster

Postby JALinker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 am

I think I am in a similar situation... I have a YM1700 with the 2TR17 engine, but the head shows it as a 2TR18... any benefit/detriment to this?

Thanks!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 pm

There is not a 2TR18 but maybe it is a 2TR16? They are the same except for the numbers cast into them.

Return to “Tech Support”