Yanmar Tractor Support Message Board

Welcome to the Hoye Tractor technical support forum.

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:43 am 
Volunteer Poster

I HAVE A 2210D YANMAR THE POWER SHIFT WILL WORK IN 3RD, 2ND AND 1ST. THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN YOU SHIFT THE SHIFTER TO REV. THE TRACTOR STILL WANT TO GO FWD. THE TRACOR WILL FINALLY TRY TO START GOING IN REV WITH NO POWER. THE FILTER IS CLEAN AND THE OIL APPEARS TO BE CLEAN. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHERE I MIGHT START THE TROUBLESHOOTING PROCESS. I HAVE REMOVED THE VALVE BOBY OFF THE TOP LOOKING. IT APPEARS THAT THERE ARE CLUTCH PACKS IN THE TRANS. HOW ARE THEY SET UP. IS THERE A THEORY OF OPERATION LISTED THAT WOULD HELP ME BETTER UNDER STAND THE START TO FINISH PROCESS OF THE OPERATION OF THE POWERSHIFT TRANS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Administrator

Inside the powershift valve body located in the bellhousing is 5 teflon sealing rings (you can see them on #20 below) on a shaft that directs the oil to the correct clutch pack. If one (or more) of those rings fails to seal it will allow oil to flow to the wrong clutch pack. My guess is that the oil is leaking through the reverse ring.

Attachments:
2210.jpg
2210.jpg [ 77.64 KiB | Viewed 489 times ]

http://www.HoyeTractor.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:01 pm 
Volunteer Poster

Here's what I'd invest five minutes in first. ("Horizontal" and "vertical" are relative, not literal.)

When you remove the black rubber cover over the powershift lever you'll see that the horizontally-pivoting lever attaches at its clevis end to a vertical rod that rotates as you move the lever. A pin goes through the clevis ends and rod to lock the lever to the rod.

In time the pin loosens (pin wears, holes enlarge) so when you pull the lever into reverse (and/or first) the rod doesn't rotate enough. Just tighten that connection. Replacing the pin with an exact pin might do it, or you might drill for a wider pin.

If that fixes it, get a proper roll pin, as a simple cotter will not last.