Yanmar 1300d PTO

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

TNJOKER
Volunteer Poster

Yanmar 1300d PTO

Postby TNJOKER » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:09 pm

Hey there and Happy Easter!

I'm having issues with sheering the upper pto gear when trying to disengage the pto from 540 to neutral.

I idle down the tractor and move the tranny to neutral to move the while holding down the clutch moving the lever to the pto down to disengage?

What am I missing?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Yanmar 1300d PTO

Postby winston » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:24 pm

I don't have an answer for you. Should not be doing that. Are you waiting for the pto shaft to stop spinning before shifting. I don't always do that but probably is a good idea. I would have to wonder if something isn't amiss in your shifting mechanism. Do you have 3 operational speeds?

TNJOKER
Volunteer Poster

Postby TNJOKER » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:55 pm

winston wrote:I don't have an answer for you. Should not be doing that. Are you waiting for the pto shaft to stop spinning before shifting. I don't always do that but probably is a good idea. I would have to wonder if something isn't amiss in your shifting mechanism. Do you have 3 operational speeds?

To be honest I do not. However I do have 3 speeds on my selector.

I did have a slip clutch.. I did learn that does not prevent damage from internal forces... My shift mechanism does have a little play? Is that normal? Or is it supposed to be kinda firm?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 am

If only 1 speed then no doubt something is amiss. A little slack might be normal with a 40 year old tractor but not a massive amount. Assuming your external shifting linkage is ok then that only leaves something inside.

A slip clutch is made to slip when you hit an immovable object and is made to protect both implement and tractor.

Do you have an over run clutch on your tractor? You can read more about one here: https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/OR-660.htm

TNJOKER
Volunteer Poster

Postby TNJOKER » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 am

winston wrote:If only 1 speed then no doubt something is amiss. A little slack might be normal with a 40 year old tractor but not a massive amount. Assuming your external shifting linkage is ok then that only leaves something inside.

A slip clutch is made to slip when you hit an immovable object and is made to protect both implement and tractor.

Do you have an over run clutch on your tractor? You can read more about one here: https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/OR-660.htm

So I misspoke. I have an over run clutch not a slip clutch, always get the two confused.

The slack is in between the two speeds- 420 and 540 which I'm assuming is normal for neutral. Within the actual range its self there is hardly any slack and is firm.

The actual linkage shifts smooth with no stuttering to and from gears?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 am

According to the parts manual your pto speeds should be 465, 771, 1296rpm.

Have you actually sheared teeth off the gears and changed the gear out?

TNJOKER
Volunteer Poster

Postby TNJOKER » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:25 am

winston wrote:According to the parts manual your pto speeds should be 465, 771, 1296rpm.

Have you actually sheared teeth off the gears and changed the gear out?

Ah. Gotcha.

Yes. Makes the 3rd time.. 1st time I bought the tractor with the gear sheered. Second and third time was on me. Second time I sheered both upper and lower gears and had to split the case apart.

I do make sure to drain the oil out and clean out the reservoir pretty thoroughly before putting everything back together. Count the teeth missing to make sure there isn't any stray teeth running amiss.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:35 am

Wow! If all that is happening while shifting the I would have to think you are doing it with things moving. That would not be good. If that is not the case then I really don't know what is going on inside the transmission.

TNJOKER
Volunteer Poster

Postby TNJOKER » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:17 am

winston wrote:Wow! If all that is happening while shifting the I would have to think you are doing it with things moving. That would not be good. If that is not the case then I really don't know what is going on inside the transmission.

I try to come to a complete stop before trying to come out of pto gear. Not saying I haven't done it in the past.

Would you suggest stopping completely, putting into neutral, idle down, wait till pto stops then remove from rotation selection?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:49 am

In your case I would although I know I don't do that. If it would stop gear shear it would be worth it.

TNJOKER
Volunteer Poster

Postby TNJOKER » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:29 pm

winston wrote:In your case I would although I know I don't do that. If it would stop gear shear it would be worth it.

It's a handy little critter no doubt.

Taking it apart isn't that big of a job but time consuming and expensive. I will try that hopefully this afternoon and hopefully I will not have any issues.

TNJOKER
Volunteer Poster

Postby TNJOKER » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:57 am

winston wrote:In your case I would although I know I don't do that. If it would stop gear shear it would be worth it.

So I was able to run the bush hog no issues yesterday. I think I figured out the right combo to keep from sheering the gear.

On the throttle there Is a speed past cutoff that I assume is idle? Before shifting from second speed on pto to neutral I let the bush hog roll to a complete stop. That seemed to work.

Thanks.

RJB
Volunteer Poster

Postby RJB » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:07 pm

Sounds like your overrun clutch is not working.

Return to “Tech Support”