Yanmar F14D intermittent starting problem

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Beecrazy
Volunteer Poster

Yanmar F14D intermittent starting problem

Postby Beecrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:01 am

I’ve got a frustrating issue starting the tractor. Sometimes with dash lights, sometimes (more rarely) no dash lights; I turn the key and nothing happens, no clicks. The first time it occurred, everything was dead. I shifted the battery and it started right up. I noticed that a terminal to the battery was a little loose. I tightened it up and the problem seemed to go away.

Well, it happened again today. I had all the dash lights, just no sounds/no start. I tested the battery it was ok. I shifted the battery/took the terminal off the battery post and replaced it. No change. During all these attempts the tractor was in neutral and I was standing on the ground; it normally will start. In my last effort to get it to start, I put it in gear and the clutch engaged; it started right up. It acted as if there is some sort of safety switch. My question is: are there safety switches on a F14D? I didn’t think there were any safety switches on such an old beast; but that’s exactly how it behaved today.

My next step is to check the ground on block..where ever that is located.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Yanmar F14D intermittent starting problem

Postby winston » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:33 am

I feel pretty confident your F14 has clutch safety switch. If you look right under the pedal you might be able to see it. Might look something like this.
https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/SS-4440.htm

Follow the ground wire from battery to wherever it connects to frame and clean. That is one of the primary causes of you symptoms.

Can't read Japanese but suspect the red circle is your clutch safety switch.
Attachments
2021-02-21-072156.jpg
2021-02-21-072156.jpg (121.69 KiB) Viewed 31 times

Beecrazy
Volunteer Poster

Re: Yanmar F14D intermittent starting problem

Postby Beecrazy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:27 pm

I checked the ground, it seemed OK. I looked under the couch petal and there is a safety switch. I got this tractor a few years ago and many times I have been starting it, in neutral with my feet on the ground. It seems the switch isn’t/wasn’t working properly. It seems that the switch is sticking and releases slowly over time/over night. At least, i can start the tractor.

I got stranded in Monterey because the clutch safety switch went bad on a new 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT. I really don’t care for safety switches.

Return to “Tech Support”