Ymg1800d kill lever left out

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Lkarns6
Volunteer Poster

Ymg1800d kill lever left out

Postby Lkarns6 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:49 pm

The kill lever was left out overnight, and the motor was turned over before discovering the kill pull lever was still out. After bleeding at the filter, with the push button bleeder, and at the injection pump, and cracking the injection lines, it will still not run, it will run for about a minute after the motor is turned over with the compression lever pulled out for around 10 seconds.
Any ideas to get me back running?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Ymg1800d kill lever left out

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Im assuming by kill lever you mean the kill cable was left pulled out overnight? If so- it will not hurt anything to leave that kill cable pulled out. In fact, I'm pretty sure most operators just leave it pulled out until they are restarted the next time. I know I do. If you try to start it with the cable pulled it will not hurt anything either and will not allow air into the fuel system.

I'm thinking you have another problem. Maybe fuel contamination? Did the tractor run normally when it was last shut down? Any chance water got in the fuel overnight (heavy rain or something)?

Lkarns6
Volunteer Poster

Postby Lkarns6 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:51 am

Aaron wrote:Im assuming by kill lever you mean the kill cable was left pulled out overnight? If so- it will not hurt anything to leave that kill cable pulled out. In fact, I'm pretty sure most operators just leave it pulled out until they are restarted the next time. I know I do. If you try to start it with the cable pulled it will not hurt anything either and will not allow air into the fuel system.

I'm thinking you have another problem. Maybe fuel contamination? Did the tractor run normally when it was last shut down? Any chance water got in the fuel overnight (heavy rain or something)?

Yes the kill cable, I was under that assumption because the guy I bought it from said it’s a pain in the you know what if you leave it left out, so maybe he just didn’t know exactly what he was talking about. The last time I was pushing snow the last time I used it and it ran just fine, and it’s always stored in the garage. So far I’ve gone as far as pulling the injectors and testing them, and all 3 are delivering even fuel.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:03 pm

How long was it setting before you tried to start it? Did you use starting fluid to try to get it to start?

Lkarns6
Volunteer Poster

Postby Lkarns6 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:53 pm

It only sat overnight from the time I last used it. Starting fluid was used after I bled the fuel system, and it would run 30 seconds- 2 minutes after getting started. I’m not sure if it’s possible for the injection pump to just be weak, and not delivering enough fuel? I’m confident it isn’t fuel contamination or filter issue because I’ve even fed fresh fuel straight to the injection pump

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm

I'm not saying this is the case here but I don't think I have ever heard of anyone using starting fluid on a little Yanmar without causing serious engine damage. Even a very small amount will usually cause instant damage to the piston which lowers compression and will require starting fluid to start again. We get calls/tickets almost daily where a fuel problem turns into an engine overhaul because of starting fluid.

Injection pumps very rarely just work one day and then not the next day... unless there is fuel contamination.

Return to “Tech Support”