276D stalled and wont start

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

276D stalled and wont start

Postby Ddh260 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:40 pm

Charged tractor last night. It started after a few seconds of using the decompression pull. Ran smoothly for about 45 minutes for warm up and as I got the snowblower installed.

Started blowing snow and it bogged down and died. I figured I was pushing too much snow. Tractor started and I continued working. About 3 minutes later it dies again.

Engine wont turn over now unless the decompression knot is pulled. But turns over great without compression.

Checked all fluids, at first thought I ran out of fuel.
Fuel check
Oil check
Did a quick clean of air filter
Radiator fluid check...
Hydraulic fluid check.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 276D stalled and wont start

Postby winston » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:04 pm

After the 3 minutes and it died, was that because of over load or just died for no reason?

This may seem far fetched and maybe not even possible. Wondering if is is possible push rod some malfunction on an exhaust valve causing it not to open. But when using decompression you are opening it enough to make turning easy. Might consider pulling rocker arm cover and having a look if no progress.

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:10 pm

winston wrote:After the 3 minutes and it died, was that because of over load or just died for no reason?

This may seem far fetched and maybe not even possible. Wondering if is is possible push rod some malfunction on an exhaust valve causing it not to open. But when using decompression you are opening it enough to make turning easy. Might consider pulling rocker arm cover and having a look if no progress.

Died for no reason, I think (obviously it died for SOME reason). And I think the first time may have been the same but I thought it was because i was pushing too much.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Strange symptoms, I suppose your starter or battery could be bad but doesn't sound like it. If it won't turn over without decompression and your confident in starter and battery I would pull the rocker arm cover and have a look see. May not be anything there but something is evidently wrong somewhere. :shock:

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:18 pm

Update. Engine will not turn over. Not sure if battery is getting weak (wasn't turning over last night which is why I charged it) or if ita something more serious (seized)?

Winston, just saw your last post... looks like we are on same wavelength. If it is a bad battery, why would it die a couple times...?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm

I have had another thought. I am sometimes slow, actually most of the time, a side effect of old age. If you have a blown head gasket you could have coolant in a cylinder and liquid does not compress. I know you said you checked coolant but make sure no liquid is coming out the exhaust when you are turning it over with compression release. A very small amount of coolant in cylinder could cause it not to turn over. Compression release allows that liquid to expel. This is far more likely than a misplaced pushrod.

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:32 pm

How does one check fluid in exhaust? HG seems likely... how big of a job is a HG change?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Should be able to see or feel it. Head gasket change is not difficult but would require a torque wrench. The 276 service manual is on line. https://www.tractorforum.com/manuals/ya ... t84ha.623/

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:57 pm

Awesome, thanks. I'll let you know what I find out.

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:49 am

Ddh260 wrote:Awesome, thanks. I'll let you know what I find out.

Ok, the coolant fluid that was in the overflow bottle is now gone. When I crank the engine there is lot of white smoke and there is a smell of antifreeze when cranking. Still wont fire up. I'm heavily leaning headgasket. What parts do I need other than headgasket?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:38 am

Good article here for you. https://www.hoyetractor.com/head-gasket.htm

Long thread but might be worth reading through. This lady is tenacious. viewtopic.php?t=6799

Your on line parts manual. https://www.tractorforum.com/manuals/ya ... t2321.429/

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:43 pm

Going to document my progress.
Removed radiator bracket.
air filter and intake manifold removed
exhaust manifold/muffler removed. Was worried the manifold bolts would be a bear, they were very easy to remove. Didnt even use any PB blaster.

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:24 pm

Bad news...
Tractor was essentially out of coolant. Found out the coolant overflow line was pinched by the hood, thus I believe that the fluid in the overflow was consistently at the same level so I didnt know it was low. Also, the overheat light must not be working...
As I was taking the radiator out, disconnected the lower hose and maybe a quart of coolant came out. Should add that the hose from radiator to frame rail, used to drain radiator I believe was wet and that must be where I was losing fluid...

So I believe this project just went from headgasket best case scenario to potential rebuild.... good news is that it still turns over...

Can anyone provide any advice for what to do next. Maybe some troubleshooting? Nearly have the head off the tractor.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:57 pm

A good look at your cylinders and head might help in knowing what to do next. Check your head for flatness with a good straight edge.

And make sure you get the temperature light working. You can test the circuit by turning the key on, then remove the wire from the sender, touch it to ground and your dash warning light should come on. If it does then buy a new sender unit and you will be good to go. https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/TS-44901.htm

Ddh260
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ddh260 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:43 am

I'll post an update tomorrow when I get the head off. But I do have a few questions in the meantime

Do the rocker arms have to come off to get the head off? Looks like the easiest way is to just take them off.
Can the timing get messed up with this job?

Also, a bit of a mystery on the dash temperature light winston. When I turn the key to the on position the temp light turns on and stays on - always has done that. Also, in order for any of the electronics to work (blinkers, headlights, rear light etc) I have to have the key turned to the 2nd on position. So most of the time I turn the key back to the 1st on position after I've started the tractor in order to avoid having the temp light on all the time. Maybe someone messed with the wiring in the past? not sure on that one. But in any case, it doesn't let me test the light based on your reccomended way winston. thanks tho...

Return to “Tech Support”