Hydraulics operational only intermittently

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

billy.beavers
Volunteer Poster

Hydraulics operational only intermittently

Postby billy.beavers » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:18 pm

I’m having a issue with my Yamnar 2820D. The hydraulics are running slowly and are only operating intermittently. With it being a power steering tractor, it’s very easy to tell when the hydraulics stop lol. I changed the oil, cleaned the suction screen and replaced the spin on filter. It seems to have helped some but has not cured it. I at first thought it was on air, but now it’s acting as if it potentially has a faulty check valve (if it has one). I’m not sure the pump is putting out the appropriate pressure or volume either. Has anyone had a issue like this? How would I go about checking the pump’s pressure? Does it have any check valves that could be the culprit?

Side notes: I have attempted to prime the line at the filter housing. I also have ensured the fluid level was topped off to the appropriate level after the pump should have filled the filter.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Hydraulics operational only intermittently

Postby winston » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:54 am

Are you confident your new spin on filter has the correct specs? There are filters out there that will screw on but wrong micron count which can cause suction problems. Was there much on the strainer at time of cleaning? Do you have a loader?

I don't thing you have any check valves in the system. The filter could have an anti drain back valve.

billy.beavers
Volunteer Poster

Postby billy.beavers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm

I’m not too confident that it is the correct filter. I plan on buying one here before I move forward. I ended up buying one at NAPA but I want to remove it from the list of possible culprits. When I took the original filter off I noticed that it was not filled with fluid (no fluid evacuated when I took it off). The suction screen was relatively clean. No large debris or blockage was present. Short of any check valves, I’m thinking it is the pump itself. I just need to find out the procedure to check the pump itself.

As for a loader, my tractor was equipped with one that the guy I bought it from took off and left at his hunting club out of state. I plan on getting it from him or replacing it with another one in the future.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:06 pm

you happen to know the Napa number? We can look up specs (flow)?

billy.beavers
Volunteer Poster

Postby billy.beavers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 pm

It is a Napa 1229. To be clear, it had the same issue before the fluid and filter change. I just think it might have marginally improved but that might just be my wishful thinking lol. I have a good friend that suggested that it could also be the bypass valve malfunctioning. Would anyone happen to know where that bypass is located? I would assume somewhere upstream from the pump, but unless it’s built into the filter housing, it isn’t very obvious where it would reside. I could also use the normal operating pressure specs for the pump for testing purposes.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:28 am

I should probably shut up. Here is the specs on the 51225: https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartD ... ?Part=7651

I would suggest 51203 or better yet, Hoye's filter. https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartD ... ?Part=1985

I am guessing your friend is taling about the diverter valve. A picture of my old 2002D. Guessing yours would be very similar. The discharge from your pump should go directly to this valve. The valve then feeds the power steering out of one line and the rest of the tractor out of the other. could be your problem but I doubt it.

Don't know the grey 2820D hydraulic pressure is going to be found out there but I can tell you the relief setting on the 220/226 is 2209-2356 psi. The 276 setting is 2133-2275 psi. The 195 setting is 2200 psi. That should give you a pretty good idea what pressure you can expect. Naturally you won't see that pressure unless you cause your relief valve to discharge.
Attachments
100_5429.JPG
100_5429.JPG (182.05 KiB) Viewed 135 times

billy.beavers
Volunteer Poster

Postby billy.beavers » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:07 pm

I appreciate your response. I will look to see if I can find anything that looks like that on the pressure side of the pump coming back. I will update as I figure it out. Thanks again, especially for taking the time to snap a pic!

Return to “Tech Support”