No start help

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

oltexboots
Volunteer Poster

No start help

Postby oltexboots » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:52 pm

Ok..going to try to summarize.
Purchased a non running ym2001d, 3 cyl diesel yanmar.
Prior owner said it quit running, and they put inj pump on it..could not get it to run. So bought a new tractor.
I had been looking for a tractor, since mine had been stolen.
I checked it out and found very low compression. Durng disassembly found destroyed piston ring lands.
So performed major overhaul, using top machine shop. New: pistons, rings, liners, rods, main& rod bearings, machine crank, oil pump, water pump, all valves, guides, hoses, radiator...clutch, throw out bearing..had injectors tested, new insulators and sealing rings. Flushed fuel tank, new filters.
Back together...cranks..no start...has smoke.
Have bled the fuel system at injectors, to no avail. Have fuel at injectors...during bleeding. Cranking speed is good, as had high grade jumper cables attached to my cummins diesel Dodge Ram.
I don't want to use starting fluid, nor gasoline..for fear of engine damage.....
My only thought is inj pump timing, but inj pump had been replaced by previous owner, parts bought from Hoyes. So.. at a loss. Have a fairly strong knowledge on engines...but feel like I'm missing something. After 3 hours of cranking/ starter cool down/ cranking...bleeding...cool down of starter...repeat... In Texas..so not subzero temps...HELP!!!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: No start help

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:57 am

Are you sure you have the valves set correctly? I would also check around the injectors to be sure they are not leaking compression from underneath them (since it sounds like they have been in and out a few times). Soapy water works good there.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:15 am

Probabaly sounds silly and sure not likely but since tractor has changed hands just make sure correct injector lines are going to correct injectors and not swapped some way. Does it seem to have good compression? Spin freely with compression release and tougher without?

oltexboots
Volunteer Poster

Postby oltexboots » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:50 pm

All isolators and crush washers replaced at injectors. Used soapy water to confirm sealed last weekend.
Confirmed inj line routing with service manual.

Nubbin at Hoye, came up with a couple of good thoughts...make sure decompression has full release. And check rack movement from governor to rack. He then suggested listening to each injector/ spray nozzle for popping off, using stethoscope.
So thank y'all...armed with some diagnostics I'll tackle this weekend.

Return to “Tech Support”