PTO upper bearing w snap ring placement

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Jimmyd59
Volunteer Poster

PTO upper bearing w snap ring placement

Postby Jimmyd59 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Hello, I purchased a Yanmar 1500D, when I got home I discovered the pto housing was busted. I removed the broken cover and found the gear had missing teeth and the rear bearing outer housing and balls were gone. I ordered a new cover, gear and bearings. My question is how is the bearing with the snap ring placed on the shaft, with the ring toward the gear or toward transmission end of the shaft?
This is a great place for information on maintaing and operating our tractors. I purchased the operators manual, it wasn’t quite what I expected but it’s better than nothing I suppose.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: PTO upper bearing w snap ring placement

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:54 am

I don't have one here to double check but it will only go together one way and I'm +90% sure the bearings gets positioned so it sinks into the rear axle casting as far as possible (snap ring to the rear of the tractor). If you put it the other way the cover will not go all the way on. Someone uploaded some pictures here once but I'm not able to find them now.

Jimmyd59
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jimmyd59 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:35 am

Thank you for the reply. I did get the shaft assembled, but had to take it to a machine shop to have it pressed in the PTO cover. I failed to mention that the hole in the transmission housing has been gauged about a 1/4 “ and the hole itself is a little rough. I plan to file the opening and I was going to put some JB weld in the gouge, but it’s too cold for it to set properly and I don’t have a shop.
I plan to change the hydraulic fluid and clean the screen today, I have a magnet and will “ go fishing “ for metal in the transmission housing. The lower gear has a bevel on one side and is flat on the other, do you know which side faces the front of the tractor?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:20 pm

What part of the gear is the bevel on? Can't see why gear teeth would have a bevel unless from wear.

Jimmyd59
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jimmyd59 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:10 am

The lower gear has a washer that is flat on one side and convex on the other. Thank you for the reply.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:22 pm

Maybe this thread will shed some light on it for you. viewtopic.php?t=4985

Return to “Tech Support”