1610d head gasket leak

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

1610WA
Volunteer Poster

1610d head gasket leak

Postby 1610WA » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:01 pm

Hey there. Got a "reconditioned" 1610d....put 15 hrs on it and started bubbling coolant into the overflow. Opened up the cap on start up, see bubbles, have a automotive nice temp sensor, tractor is not over heating. I removed the head and have some questions. Ive noticed that in general the overflow, the hoses, water pump throats etc have a lot of iron sediment. Upon removing the head, I cam see down in the water side channels. Lots of rust. Also, see pictures of head bolts. The exhaust side are all clean, the air intake side are all corroded. Just want some experienced opinions here. I'm going to scrape the head and block and check for flat. Plan to tap the block to clean out head bolt threads. The intake side have water down in them. Concerns? Normal to see the rust? Have head gasket coming. Thanks.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 1610d head gasket leak

Postby winston » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:24 am

Sounds as though the leak has been there quite a while, thus excess rust. Maybe, maybe not. Make sure you use a good flashlight and check down in the bolt holes for possible crack. Unless you see something more to alarm you I would go with your plan and see what happens. Just my 2 cents.

Return to “Tech Support”