My ym2010d clutch adjustment

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

My ym2010d clutch adjustment

Postby Coachg » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:43 am

Hi I have a ym2010D 4wda that I let a friend borrow to use my box blade. When he brought it back he told me he thought my clutch and pressure plate was going out. He said that he adjusted the clutch linkage and got it back to working. I used it to Bush hog my property for a few hours and I had to quit. On the way to put it up it started not going on me I made it to the shop to park it I called him to come adjust what he did to see of it would maybe go properly he never come.
I have become disabled and can't work on it myself anymore. I had someone to come check it for me
It turned out it was almost completely out. Of transmission fluid. He went and got me the fluid and filled it. It then took right off but then the clutch stopped working. He was supposed to come back and adjust the linkage the next day. He never came back either. Is the linkage like a car and just manually adjust the linkage with a wrench or is there something else wrong with it? I didn't see what linkage he adjusted so I'm not even sure that's the problem now. It went from not going at all to running and now the clutch wont work at all now
Can someone please give me some direction on adjusting the linkage? I was told that it had a certain point of adjustment or it wouldn't work
Or what needs to be done to get it back working. Since I have become disabled for so long all my friends have disappeared. The guy that borrowed it got remarried and I have been told she keeps him busy at home. Regardless if I can find out what needs to be done I may can have someone to come and adjust what I tell them. That doesn't work on tractors. I can't even get the Tractor dealership to look at it for some reason. Not sure how this forum works if I get a email when I get a reply so if someone would message me when I get a answer I'd appreciate it
Email me at goodale@shtc.net. thanks!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: My ym1010d clutch adjustment

Postby winston » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:51 am

I am hopeful a clutch adjustment will solve your problem. It is not actually a clutch adjustment but rather a pedal adjustment. Notice the turnbuckle #16 and locknuts #14 and #23. Loosen those off and turn the turnbuckle until you have appx 9/16" free play at the top of the pedal before you feel contact. Check that free play before you start. If it is anywhere close to that then you may have other problems.

Where are you located?
Attachments
2020-11-01-054307.jpg
2020-11-01-054307.jpg (167.46 KiB) Viewed 3270 times

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Re: My ym1010d clutch adjustment

Postby Coachg » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:20 am

Thanks for the reply! I'm in S.C. I hope to get able or have someone help me try it soon. I'm just seeing this when I felt well enough to look again and run across my own post. I believe this is the problem being what the guy that borrowed it told me thought was wrong and just adjusted the linkage and it started going again. I don't understand why he didn't check the fluid. That's a concern to me being hes a mechanic. It also bothers me that a lifelong friend that I let use anything I have and especially knowing my condition still hasn't answered my calls or text. I Thought maybe he was dodging having to tear it down, but after I found the fluid problem and thought it was just needing adjusting back he'd come at least do that and I even asked if he would take it to somewhere to fix it if that wasn't it. He used my truck and trailer anyway to borrow it. But after several tries to this day I haven't heard a word from him. Guess when things like happened to me you find out who your friends are!
When it stopped on me it did like I saw another post where they would let it sit a while and it would slowly move again. That's what I did as well to get it back in the yard. I tried it a few days later and it lasted only long enough to take the Bush hog off and as soon as I started backing up to the disk the lift also quit working. I then thought it's like the fluid is low. I checked it and it wasn't even hardly touching the dipstick. So it took me a few more weeks to get the right fluid and put in it and it then took off and I had no clutch. That made me real hopeful but getting to the next step just hasn't happened yet.
With my health that is very hard to explain I may have a good day once a week or once a month. Then very seldom I have many days together. The Drs. Are finally getting closer to getting me a solution. I'm praying like the he first time they tried it at a much lower dosage I had 3 weeks of actually feeling well. But they had to lower the dosage of the medication and add one that was supposed to work together. It didn't and I went back to very sick again. This past Monday they started me on the same medication at a lot higher dosage and are gonna try to keep me on it and lower it slowly and hope it will make me well again. It's just not healthy to be on it long at high dosages and can cause other problems but after 10 years now we decided with the quality of life I have I am willing to take the chance.
With that explained the best I can I'm slowly feeling better and decided to go to it and mark the location of the linkage setting now and the arm rotation witch isnt much at all going into the gearbox. Then record everything as I changed the adjustment of the turnbuckle so I'd see if I made any progress. And hopefully get on it and it will go like it did when I added the fluid witch I plan to check again. Before I got started good I got very sick and had to get myself back into the house. I didn't even do anything but look and work the clutch pedal, but I did see what I hope will be a huge help. Where it was originally set is still painted and where its been moved from is rusty. It looks like there is a decent amount of adjustment, I just have to get it done. Each day has been a little better for me so I'm hoping soon I can get back out there and get it going and actually be able to use it again! Thanks very much for the reply. I wish I'd seen it sooner.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Re: My ym2010d clutch adjustment

Postby Coachg » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:44 pm

I was actually able to try to adjust the linkage today. I backed the locking nuts off the turnbuckle and pressed the clutch. It felt like it always has to me the want any difference in the amount of pressure it takes me to engage the clutch. So I marked the travel distance rotation with a permamarker where it rotates going into the gearbox. Then I adjusted the turnbuckle making it go towards the front locking nut. I only turned it around 5 thread in that direction. Then pressed the clutch it completely lost all resistance! Just that little movement made a lot of movement where I marked it. So I then turned it back to where I started. Started the tractor and used the quick drive and put it in gear with the clutch engaged and it still tried to go. So I then tried to turn the turnbuckle to adjust it towards the clutch end of the threaded shaft. I soaked everything with Kroil oil before I started to make it turn easier. It worked like it should have and was turning just as I was getting to the point I wanted to check it the end that attaches to the clutch without hardly any pressure from me broke off in the turnbuckle. I then took the Carter pins out both ends and and got a better look at the whole setup. The end that rung off was bent and I guess when the other guy adjusted it had to have had issues with it to ring off there as easily as it did. Now I'm going to try to drill and use a easy out to see exactly how much of the threaded part I lost and hopefully still have enough for adjustments. Or I can weld that end and just use the other end to adjust the linkage being there is plenty of length left for that end. Another thing I tried was using the larger part by hand and moving it by hand but that wasn't accurate enough to find the spot where the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted to stop the tractor. I'm gonna try to repair the linkage tomorrow if possible. If I have to buy another setup I will but if I don't get it adjusted to where it activates the clutch to stop the tractor is there something else I can try? I really need to get it back going I need it to level the yard where we have had work done and left it in a mess. Please let me know by email if you will so I know I have a answer. My email is goodale@shtc.net just address the subject as ym2010D so I'll recognize it.
Thanks very much, Garland

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 am

Here are the linkage parts for the 2010D. Needs to be adjusted with around 5/8" free play at top of pedal. https://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/2010CLUTCH.htm

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:23 pm

Got mine back together still a little bent though. I'm gonna order these anyway for the help. Is my understanding of the free play that the clutch will have tension on it but wont actually engage until the 5/8" of pedal pressed is pushed down that far. Then it will engage the clutch? Also mine has a second linkage going from the same connection point where this linkage connects to the pedal. I didn't even look at it until I was unhooking the broken one. It goes to the rear end on the tractor. Being the linkage we are discussing is off when I manually press the clutch pedal it doesn't move everything pivots there and the shaft inside that connection point turns but it doesn't move that linkage. What is that for for sure and what makes it move when the clutch is pressed? It not pictured in my diagram, mine has a connection point on each side the inside one is the one we are talking about and in the picture the outside on with this on is identical just on the other side and connected to that linkage. seems to me since my tractor has what I call the manual 4 speed shifter under the seat and then the other quick shift with forward, reverse, etc. Toward the steering colum in front of the fluid tank that that has something to do with the rear end gear ratio. I tried moving every lever on the tractor to make it move nothing did. Is it because the other linkage is unhooked and it knows to catch with its pressure for it to move? Looks like when I press the pedal it would rotate it as well but it doesn't move. The pedal just flops freely. Any help would be much appreciated. What gets me even though he adjusted it it was working properly until the fluid got to low where it was. As soon as I filled it up now the tractor as soon as put in gear takes right off. Now the clutch wont let me shift the manual gears. Or turn on the pto without grinding ans I dont want to do that. I sure hope this adjustment works. I just wanted to know what this other linkage is since I noticed it for sure. Also can you send me a list and instructions for adjusting the brake pads and parts list as well. That will also need to be addressed next. I wish there was a dealer close to me here in Chesterfield SC that I could take it to for a full inspection and repair it. I can't find one or anyone to work on it. Maybe having this information I can get a mechanic to do it. If I was still able I'd buy the manuals and do it myself. Is there a dealer I can't find near me? My zip code is 29709. Thanks again!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:39 am

The other adjustment is for the inertia brake. Not smart enough to comment on it much other than to say I doubt you need to mess with it. Seconnd picture out of 2010 parts manual showing your clutch linkage components. First picture out of 226 repair manual showing inertia brake adjustment. Can only attach two pictures here. Will attach last in next post.
Attachments
2021-03-02-073052.jpg
2021-03-02-073052.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
2021-03-02-071952.jpg
2021-03-02-071952.jpg (149.64 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:41 am

Attachments
2021-03-02-073052_2.jpg
2021-03-02-073052_2.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

Ohyo
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ohyo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:51 am

I lived in Chesterfield from 1989 to 1992 and still have friends there. My Dad was the pastor at Thompson creek church. Let me know if you need some help and I will ask Buck Rivers if he can come over.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Yes I definitely need help! I ordered a new clutch pedal linkage and had the one I broke welded back together. To put on temporary but have got sick again and cant put it back on yet to see if that adjustment will hopefully get it back working. Is that Buck Rivers that lives near Thompson Creek Church At Wexford? I know him and his family. His Dad was Lee and Brother Tommy. Tell him its Garland he knows me still I hope, I've been at home now almost 11 years with my illness. If its him he also guides deer hunts I'd like to get involved in that as well if can get to where I can hunt again. I leased 500 acres of land near there for year before my illness shut me down. Finding someone here is hard now even with my situation. Ive been waiting for months for someone else to come fix it but hasn't made it. If you could have him message me I'd appreciate it at goodale@shtc.net. I really need it going! With my health I have to depend on others for about everything now. Thanks very much for the reply! Ohio did you ever get up with Buck? I was friends with him and his wife kim on Facebook but not anymore. I found them using a new name kimbuck rivers a d they accepted my friend request. As I was messaging Buck I copied this post and added it. Before I finished typing it so he would know what I was asking . Before I could finish I got a message I didn't have permission to be there and they back later. I went back to Facebook and my notification that they accepted my friend request vanished as well as being able to search for them. I can find post to them from other mutual friends but cant see their replies. It's like they blocked me. I can use my wife's account a d search for them and they are there. It appears for some reason I don't know why they blocked me. I was just wondering if you got up with him.
Last edited by Coachg on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:47 pm

Is there a clutch pedal adjustment video also. All I have found is what is pictured above. That would help as well.
I just hope that the adjustment is the problem now. Even simple things like that is tough for me to get to feeling like doing and when I do it makes my issues kick in and I have to sometimes crawl back into the house because of the vertigo/disorientation and nausea that the nerve damage in my head I have now. The last 11 years have been a total nightmare! I have finally got on some medication that working better every day for the last 2 weeks until last night. I've been up 3 days now with pain and then the sickness kicked back in again major last night. I'm just now feeling well enough to check the post. I never knew RA could do what it has to me with is very rare. I keep praying that the lord will at least remove the sickness part. I can deal with the pain! It's just gonna have to be on his time. If you will have him to message me it would be a huge blessing!
Thanks, Again

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:15 am

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:15 pm

Ordered all new linkage parts from the pedal to the last half of the linkage that attaches to the shaft going into the gearbox. Hope to get them soon I really need it going to get the landscaping done at my parents house I hired someone else to do that made a mess and left it. Wish I'd got one with a front end loser on it. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one even if its smaller
With a loader on it. I'll have to sell something to do that though. If I was still working it wouldn't be a big deal. I'd planned on getting a rotor tiller for it back then and wish I had the price of them have more than doubled. I'm gonna look into renting a backhoe as well and see of I can come out cheaper than hiring one of these local companies again for nothing. I would love to get mine going for sure and find another one with a front loader on it at a deal. There is someone local that has a backhoe attachment for sale that I'd get and put on it full time. I'm while I'm feeling better going to search for everything a d weigh my options. My health is gonna play a huge factor.i sure hope that I can get the adjustment done and everything be fine. It's been a great tractor for a long time for me. I was amazed at the power and handling of my implants vs my old faithful Alice Chalmers B. I wish I had kept it now. I'd have one for the Bush hog and the other with the disc or now a turn plow and the disk to get the yard back in good condition after having trees and grape vines removed. Those roots are gonna need some attention. I just wish they covered up all the wholes the dug out with the backhoe looking for cut water lines and just left them! If anyone knows of a good deal on another Yanmar near Chesterfield SC let me know.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:22 pm

Got the new parts today. They were were a lot longer than my old ones. Ended up using some of them and adjusting it like the post. Got the proper play and then adjusted it with help a quarter turn each way and never got it to work. No matter where it's at now it will try to go as soon as I shift the shifter into 1st or reverse from neutral. Is there anything else simple I can adjust or is it gonna have to be toren down and it be something inside the transmission. It will drive around the yard now and the lift will go up and down again it just wont in age the clutch still even thou you can feel the tension on the transmission as it was adjusted. I wonder even though he said that he said he adjusted the linkage to get the clutch and pressure plate to working why when it stopped going for me that it worked where he had it adjusted. I could use the clutch pedal to change the manual gears and the PTO. Then all of a sudden did what he said it did to him and wouldn't go. But as soon as I checked the fluid and added the Jd303 it started right back going and the lift started working. And not touching the linkage all of a sudden the clutch stopped working? It's like the pedal doesn't disengage the transmission to use it now. I wish there was somewhere to take it to that will know how to fix it. If I was healthy enough I'd tear it down and make sure everything inside the transmission was working properly myself. I may try the John Deer place again. But the last time they acted like they wanted nothing to do with it. I have found several different one that I can just buy if it will cost thousands for a dealer to fix it. I can disk and use the box blade on it like it is. I just need to use the Bush hog also. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have been up since Sunday without any sleep I hope this made since. Thanks again! Need advice on the next step.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:22 pm

I know nothing else to suggest. Wish you lived closer. I wish you the best.
Last edited by winston on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tech Support”