YM2000B Left Brake Axle replacement

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

wingfiry
Volunteer Poster

YM2000B Left Brake Axle replacement

Postby wingfiry » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:19 am

I am looking at having to replace the left brake axle on my newly acquired ym200b. Does anyone know how big of a job this is and/or what all I will need?

Backstory:
I bought my wee tractor a few weeks ago from a guy on FB Marketplace. "runs and drives great!" He used a small squirt of ether to start it. I did not know enough at the time to know that this was not a good sign. :( He did say that the brakes needed new shoes.

It started twice more for me after I got it home... and wouldn't start again. After compression testing, I'm getting 150 on cyl 1 and 250 on cyl 2. I've got a rebuild kit coming for that issue. :roll:

I got the right-hand brake assy off the tractor after about 30 min of working at it, and got all the rust and gunk cleaned out. I'll need new drums.

The left side... came right off. in a single fused piece. The drum is fused to the outer place and everything inside is apparently now a solid piece. The brake axle had been sheared off right at the back of the drum. :shock: Fortunately, there is no leaking fluid and everything is moving with no issues expect for the face that the axle stops where it exits the transmission.

I'm trying to decide if I want to just have brakes on the right side or if I'm up for replacing the left brake axle.

Thoughts?

-Ryan

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM2000B Left Brake Axle replacement

Postby winston » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:04 pm

I guess that would depend on how important left hand brakes would be to you. I believe that is the first time I have heard of that final reduction pinion breaking at that point. Most times it is right before the gear that engages the large reduction gear.

ivanhoe357
Volunteer Poster

Postby ivanhoe357 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:44 am

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your new purchase. I've not done brake work on these tractors beyond changing the shoes, so I don't know how big a job it will be to fix your left brake axle, but my .02 cents worth is that for safety's sake you should make the effort. Especially if you are using the vehicle in hilly/challenging terrain. The right side brake on my YM1610D was inoperative when I bought the tractor. I soon learned that the brakes have a secondary function in helping you steer and maintain control of the vehicle on hillsides. Good luck!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:34 am

Having just one brake on a tractor is a pretty serious safety concern. Braking one wheel can pretty easily cause loss of control- especially on any type of hilly ground or at higher speeds. Even backing the tractor off a trailer and that type of thing can get very dangerous with only one brake.

Return to “Tech Support”