3110D front knuckle seal OLD STYLE help

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

redriderjr326
Volunteer Poster

3110D front knuckle seal OLD STYLE help

Postby redriderjr326 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:16 am

Hi all, new to the forum and I have a new to me Yanmar 3110d. Have the classic knuckle seal leak up front, however I have the old style axle. I ordered both sets of parts from Hoye as I wasn’t sure yet.
Tore into it tonight following the great write up available for the new style, but I am confused on the old style. The parts diagram shows 2 seals (which I have), however when I pulled it apart, there was only one seal. I can’t find any info on how the 2 seals are suppose to go in.
Do they both go on the inside of the gear case that the spindle slides through?
The spindle is in good shape and doesn’t appear that I need the replacement sleeve.

Also, someone at some point replaced all the drain bolts on the front axle with bolts that have grease zerks instead of fixing what I’m trying to fix....any good ideas on getting the grease out so I can run gear oil?

Thanks for the help!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 3110D front knuckle seal OLD STYLE help

Postby winston » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:45 am

Interesting! I sure don't have an answer about the two seals. If yours only has one I would wonder if maybe some used one seal and some another. The 60x75x6vc is listed as a dust seal. Some guessing on my part that the TC is a double lip seal and a tad wider. The VC is a single lip and a right at 1/8" less in width.

Getting that grease out may be a problem. Of course the one you have opened up should not be. Might try removing drain plug and then blow air in through the fill plug and see if you can blow some out. Naturally you wouldn't want to use such force as to blow a seal out. Just a thought. I don't think a diesel flush would hurt anything, not sure how efficient it would be either.

redriderjr326
Volunteer Poster

Postby redriderjr326 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:20 am

I’ll pull the one I out together back apart and put the second seal in there. Guess I’m just not that good at reading the diagram! But it’s been determined the two should be inside.

I’m was thinking about using trans flush to try to get the grease out. Maybe I will try diesel too.

Mine didn’t have the shims in there....do I need to order them and put them back in?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:15 pm

Supposing you are talking about shims 39,40, and 41. Those are for setting proper backlash on gears. Amount used depends on backlash.

redriderjr326
Volunteer Poster

Postby redriderjr326 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:33 pm

Yes those shims. I will look into backlash. I’m not familiar with that. There was not any shims on the right side when I took it apart. Is it possible that they were not needed or more than likely someone didn’t put them back?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:18 pm

I can only guess and my guess would be there were some there originally. Are you sure you are looking in the right place for those shims? They go right under the steering arm (ref #31) and on top of the front gear box (ref #1)

After a closer look at the parts drawings I think I am giving some incorrect information. I am not sure those shims are for backlash, rather, I think they may be just to set the proper distance where the knuckle housing goes together. I do not have a repair manual for your 3110D or the kissing cousin 336D. Maybe Aaron will come in here and give some facts instead of listening to my gibberish.

redriderjr326
Volunteer Poster

Postby redriderjr326 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:11 pm

I pulled the steering arm off and cleaned the underside of it before I bolted the gear housing back up. I have to pull it off again for the second seal and do the other side also.
I’ll double check the other side and see if there are shims.
If he doesn’t chime in here I’ll call hoye and see what they say.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Return to “Tech Support”