YM2000 cranking issues

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

rbetts
Volunteer Poster

YM2000 cranking issues

Postby rbetts » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Bought this tractor about a year ago. Previous owner stated he always used a shot of starting fluid to crank if it sat for an extended period of time. I have done the same since I owned it, very minimal shot and she’d fire right up. I replaced a leaking fuel line yesterday followed all the air bleed protocol and it still won’t crank. It gets close at times but will never fire off. Any suggestions?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM2000 cranking issues

Postby winston » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:12 pm

I would bleed again and try. If you are having to use starting fluid you likely have low compression. And more likely the compression is going to get worse if you continue to use starting fluid. These little engines won't put up with it.

rbetts
Volunteer Poster

Postby rbetts » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:56 pm

I tried numerous times to bleed everything again but was unsuccessful. We were able to pull it off and got it to crank. I let it run for about 30 minutes at low to mid throttle, after about 5 minutes it began to run what seems normal. The concern I have now is the amount of blow by I’m seeing. There’s a lot of oil collecting around the base of breather. Am I seeing the effects of ether starting, rebuild in the future?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 am

rbetts wrote:I tried numerous times to bleed everything again but was unsuccessful. We were able to pull it off and got it to crank. I let it run for about 30 minutes at low to mid throttle, after about 5 minutes it began to run what seems normal. The concern I have now is the amount of blow by I’m seeing. There’s a lot of oil collecting around the base of breather. Am I seeing the effects of ether starting, rebuild in the future?

I suspect so, blowby is ring leakage.

Return to “Tech Support”