Shifting issue's

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Shifting issue's

Postby Just-speed » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:39 pm

I know this topic has been talked about alot but can't seem to find anything that describes issue I'm having. Bought a 276 with front end loader. Had 2425 hours on it. I put 200 hours on it in 6 weeks and was flawlessly working hard. Suddenly I noticed delays in shifting. Would shift and there would be long delays. Seemed like if I pushed clutch and let go really fast it would go.

Started researching and found really what I needed to look at was pre-screen filter and the springs in the powershift valve assembly.

First I drained system and pulled canister filter trashed and replaced. Then pulled the screen filter which was quite dirty. Even found some sludge under filter. Cleaned sludge out and the filter. Put back together and no change.

Next I pulled valve assembly off. Found the skinner inner spring broke in about 6 pieces and felt confident this was the issue. Found spring and ordered. Spring arrived today. I replaced spring and put things back together. Strangest thing, issue appears to be worse now. Reverse as an example is weak and will only work at high rpm. Low rpms and no Reverse at all. Honestly I think forward gears improved and though I do notice some delay is much much shorter. Reverse being weak and ou working at high rpm has me concerned. Almost like there is a flow issue Suddenly. To test things I tried low in gear box. Put tractor in Reverse at 2600rpm. Goes but feels weak. Moving backwards I lower rpms and get to about 2000rpms and no more movement at all. Anyone have a suggestion on what I should check. I was so sure the broken spring was the issue. I will say I did notice two thin shims in the assembly for the smaller spring. No way to know if that was factory or someone else's shim repair attempt to overcome an issue or not. However the gasket was such and pain to clean off i truly think it has never been opened before.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Shifting issue's

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am

I think I might have been working with you on a support ticket? If so, there is a lot of information missing & conflicting between the two communication channels.

Does the PTO still spin normally under a load? Knowing that it does would eliminate the main clutch/pressure plate.

Does it do the same thing in 2wd and 4wd?

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Postby Just-speed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 am

Appreciate the reply Aaron, however I have no support ticket open for this issue anywhere. This a 276 so only 2wd.

No pto issues at all. Pto works perfectly fine and was also working fine prior to any issue's. I'm thinking that since i must have high rpms to move in reverse i must have done something wrong when replacing spring and reassembly. Perhaps I got something out of place/backwards or turned. Unfortunately I've spent hours trying to find a diagram of how the spring assembly goes to use as reference to check my work with no luck.

To me the issue had to be the spring to start with. No issues and worked perfectly, sudden issue and found broken spring. I'm dwelling on this as I need tractor to continue working asap and only seems reasonable to assume I made an error

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 pm

email me and I will share something with you.
Last edited by winston on Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Postby Just-speed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Took apart. Checked, rechecked and cleaned again. Pristine.

Put back together. Pto works fine. Pto even works during the delay waiting for transmission to move. In order to move at all I must be at max rpm and even then not sure if it will go. Once you get it to engage no issue unless you drop rpms. Bucket works perfectly, pto raises up and down no issue. Pulled dipstick off while looking for transmission to engage and can see great flow.

I did find online manual that had pictures of how valve assembly goes so I could check my work. Done correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts. Being you need high rpms made me think of flow issue but that's obviously not the issue.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Humor an old man. when you say pto works fine can we assume this is pulling a load?

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Postby Just-speed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:15 pm

The Bush hog would be the load.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Just-speed wrote:The Bush hog would be the load.

Ok, don't know which manual you have but might have one to help you if you want to contact me.

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Postby Just-speed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Just placed another order with Hoye. Maybe its the gasket. The one I received was bent up in shipping. Ordered two just in case. Trying to solve the issue.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:07 am

Appreciate the reply Aaron, however I have no support ticket open for this issue anywhere. This a 276 so only 2wd

How weird! I have been working on a ticket the day before with someone with that same model and almost exact same circumstances and same steps taken. The only difference is theirs will work almost normally in reverse now and after cleaning the screen it was worse in forward gears. What are the odds? I was so confused. :D

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:39 am

Just to follow up- The other 276 person with the same-ish problem reported back that they took apart the relief valve- springs were fine- nothing wrong. Put it back together and the tractor works normally again.

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Postby Just-speed » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:37 pm

New gaskets arrived today. This time gaskets were taped in cardboard to protect them. Anyways, I was prepared. Spotless conditions and couldn't possibly imagine there would be any issue. Put together and crap....no change. What I find odd is if you slap the clutch pedal a few times it engages but softly and kinda slow but will engage. If you don't play with clutch nothing will happen.

So go through this with me. Zero issue's, works perfectly them suddenly delayed shift issue. I find broken spring, order and replace and no correction. Only thing that makes any sense right now is the spring must have been wrong one or not correct tension. Idk what else to do. Should I take back apart again and measure springs or something. If that is advised anyone know how long both springs should be? Or have any other thoughts

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Postby Just-speed » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:11 pm

Well I think I have it licked. Took apart and took my time inspecting trying to wrap my head around what on earth is going on. So what I found was the replacement spring I ordered from Hoye had a burr on one end. Basically when spring was cut it wasn't noticeable but there was a burr. So there are Basically two valves springs are attached too and I noticed small spring would glide over shaft of one but not the other. Figured how on earth could this make a difference but was curious so I looked closer. Cleaned end of spring removing burr. Now small spring glides over both. Put back together and suddenly seems to work million tiles better. Such a small detail made such a huge impact.

I would probably have people check that spring glides over those shafts of valves before putting back together.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:33 am

Happy to hear a good ending.

Just-speed
Volunteer Poster

Postby Just-speed » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:37 am

Thank you Winston

Return to “Tech Support”