Loss of power on Yanmar 2210D

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

TubacDan
Volunteer Poster

Loss of power on Yanmar 2210D

Postby TubacDan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Yanmar 2210D loss of power in higher gears even without using the FEL or gannon blade, about six hours after having 100 hour service. Air filter is new, new oil filter and new fuel filter as well as gas tank. Any thoughts, run fine for about six running hours post service. Also had new battery, voltage regulator install and work done of front wheel hub (leaking gasket)?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Loss of power on Yanmar 2210D

Postby winston » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Engine loosing power or clutch slipping??

TubacDan
Volunteer Poster

Postby TubacDan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Good question! I am a newbie on engine mechanics and such, so how would i tell? Also now my 2210D won't start and i performed all things related to a diesel engine not starting? Bummer..

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:59 pm

If your engine is loosing power it will pull down in rpms, if clutch is going bad the engine likely won't loose speed but your tractor will loose ground speed.

Did your tractor run out of diesel? If not is engine turning over with good rpm? Are you using your compression release? Throttle at least half way open? What's the temperature where you are?

TubacDan
Volunteer Poster

Postby TubacDan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi Winston,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The engine seems to be running fine with great rpms, I am not using the compression release, the engine starts really good. I usually in the past have run with the throttle at least half way open and I live in Arizona. I have about 110 hours on this tractor, and it has always started and ran great. Just the other day while grading our associations road and clearing away some pretty big rock slides, toward the end of my work the tractor just simply seems to loose a lot of power/ground speed for sure. It seems that I can shift between all gears okay, pretty much not usable in higher gears and almost in lower gears as well. Any thought will be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance, your comments have been most helpful. I miss using my tractor and might have to trailer it up to Tucson for repair ... darn it!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Based on what I understand I believe your clutch is slipping. Clutch pedal adjustment would be the first thing to look at. You should have 9/16" or so free play at the top you your pedal. When you step of the pedal it should move about 9/16 before you can feel it making contact. There is linkage under your footrest to make this adjustment if needed. Might just get an idea how much free play you have. If not in that range you might try adjusting it a tad.

I am lost on the cranking. In your last post you stated "the engine starts really good". The post before you stated "Also now my 2210D won't start. Where are we on the cranking issue?

AltonaEric
Volunteer Poster

Postby AltonaEric » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi TubacDan
I agree with Winston (although I would never disagree with him!). I think moving those large rocks cause the clutch to slip and probably "glaze" over: if the adjustment doesn't fix.
I think you have two issues going on: the "cranking" sounds like seperate, though coincidental issue. You've changed all the filters, is the fuel relatively fresh? Any obstructions in the air intake hose etc. There can only be a few things, I believe, that could cause this. Please give some more info.

TubacDan
Volunteer Poster

Postby TubacDan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I did get my tractor to start. Just had to bleed air from the injector pump, so now starts just fine again. All filters and oil new, just had it serviced. I think you may be right, clutch slipping. I'll look at the linkage when I get back from seeing my grandkiddos. Thanks for your most excellent advice, I hope it work as I need my tractor to work again.

TubacDan
Volunteer Poster

Postby TubacDan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:48 pm

AltonaEric,

What do you mean; "glaze" regarding the clutch?

Thanks.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:13 am

"..Clutch glaze is the glazing or shinning of the actual clutch disk(s) friction surface.. When a clutch is over-worked or slipped it builds heat, that heat melts the clutch disk surface & allows the surface to get real shinny & loose it's friction coefficient. .."
https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZLBR ... utch+glaze

AltonaEric
Volunteer Poster

Postby AltonaEric » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:20 pm

Sorry for delay in responding. Aaron has answered perfectly. Back in 70's and we all "hopped" cars and dragged them on back roads this was common. When you apply a bunch of torque, such as popping the clutch with a hopped up V8 AND it has what we called drag bars to maximize traction something is gonna give, either the wheels spin (burn out we called) and the lovely aroma of burnt rubber fills the air or the clutch slips to some degree .
If it slips alot the glazing will just make it worse. If it isn't bad, sometimes it will come back. Saw it a couple of times where guys would drop the tranny and rough up the clutch with course sandpaper and put it back together and it was fine. Not sure if this would work on a tractor. Please don't do it without a consenus from Aaron and/or Winston. It could be that it is much harder getting to the clutch on a tractor having to split it and it isn't worth doing all the work and then repeating if it doesn't work.

Geez, I feel old but this brings back memories

Enjoy the Labour Day weekend!

Return to “Tech Support”