3 point linkage

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Imtractotor
Volunteer Poster

3 point linkage

Postby Imtractotor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:15 am

I'm looking at buying a used compact tractor in 14-18HP range. I can see value in Japanese imports most of which are sold with tillers. However some of these do not have the traditional 3 point linkage I'm used to. The lift arms connect directly to the tiller and use a much shorter drive shaft and hinge to a plate on either side of pto. All of my existing implements are traditional type . So it would a disaster if I buy one that canot be changed. I know the traditional fittings can be bought fairly cheaply but do they fit all of these tractors ?. Can those side plates be left in place so I can use both types of 3 point by just installing the lower arms ?
Please :(

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 3 point linkage

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:50 pm

Almost all of the Yanmars have provisions to convert to a standard Cat1 3pt hitch. Some smaller models like the 1401 and 1300 might require a lower link kit in order to have a place to attach the lower lift arms if the bracket is not already on there. There are only a few Yanmars (1502 & 1602 and some small F series I think) that don't have any provision for a lower link mount. Almost all of the others have the pins & mounts already there and can be converted to standard three point by just buying the lower arms, side links, top link, and sway chains.

Some of the smaller tractors will have trouble reaching wide enough (the arms will hit the tires) for standard 3pt mounting pins. You can usually turn your implements mounting pins to the inside though and it will work fine.

What models are you looking at?

Imtractotor
Volunteer Poster

Postby Imtractotor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks Aaron. At moment Im looking at KE-3 , KE-4, F-17(looks OK) and F-155 and couple of others that are not YM. Modern ones are much more compact. Will I need to undo the conversion to use the currently fitted tiller ? That would be "undesirable "

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Im not really very familiar with any of those models but it looks to me like, at least on the KE, you will need to remove the side links & top link chain and replace them with a Cat1 top link, side link & lower arms. It would not be a 5 minute swap but wouldn't take all day either.

Return to “Tech Support”